Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Log Splitter

Default Log Splitter

I have a 743 Bobcat with quick disconnect attachment lines. So it seems I'm already halfway there. I can fabricate an attachment plate to the machine.

A cylinder and valve can be bought, I think I can scrounge a beam, and I have some plate steel.

So, what is the preferred orientation? A horizontal beam where you would have to lift each piece onto the beam, or a vertical beam where you could kinda roll a piece onto the "backstop". Either way you are bending and lifting, but I'm thinking a vertical splitter might be better.

Any ideas, opinions or suggestions?

I have used both and I much prefer the vertical set up.

Gayle Hopson
    GHop

You don't want to be constantly bent over as you are splitting the wood and replacing the partly split pieces to split again. Build a horizontal splitter with a good size mesh shelf that can hold several large pieces ready to split.

Like this:
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I always thought it would be neat to have the splitting unit dangling from a chain so you could have on something like your bobcat and swing it in an arc and then lower to the log and split the logs without moving them. The operator would stand beside the log and control the up/down motion of the lift and the in/out of the ram with a hand control. No lifting!

You might build like some I"ve seen where the actual ram unit is on a hinge that tilts to vertical or normal horizontal.

Last edited by Your Old Dog; 02-18-2009 at 05:07 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Do a You Tube search for log splitters. There is a bewildering variety of store bought and home made devices and you are sure to get some ideas.

Errol

I have a backhoe and I made a log splitter that fits on the end of the hoe. It works great as I can do all the splitting without ever touching the log...I can even stack the wood. Maybe you can do something similar with the bobcat.

I've used both and much prefer horizontal. The only way I'd do vertical is if you are trying to split logs that are too big for one person to lift.

Make sure to post pictures when you're done!

My splitter works either horz. or vert. I never use the horz. position, as I find it too tiring to continually bend over and pick up blocks, and some of the blocks are to large to comfortably lift anyway.
    I roll and stack several blocks up close, then set on one upended block,while I split everything within reach, throwing the splits off to the side in a pile, or into the bucket of my loader. then roll in more blocks. Works good for me.

bones

Bones,
    That is exactly what I have been doing for about twenty years. I can't imagine anyone lifting those heavy logs on top a horizontzl splitter.

Gayle Hopson
    GHop

Why not make the splitter as an attachment to the Bobcat, so you can position the splitter over the log while it's lying on the ground? That'll eliminate all the heavy lifting.

Is the oil capacity of the Bobcat large enough to fill the cylinder on the splitter?

Roger