Thread: walls are started on extension

Post walls are started on extension

I have finally started to put up my walls on my new shop extension we have been rain rain and more rain this year.Finally after two weeks or so of glorious sunshine and with paid help I got the base finally laid, then the with the walls started then my stomach ulcer suddenly started playing up(violently) so of to the Doc today I am in agony. Will this nightmare ever end?
    I want my shop booh hoo, and every time I turn around something else hits me Richt in Der Schnauze oh well just have to learn to be patient.I cant wait till I get it at least watertight then I can slowly finish off inside during the (wait for it) BAD WEATHER.I think I am going to once again change my name to lucky stop smiling immediately Thrud .I know you are. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Here too Alistair, I ran out of money, the sun started shining.

I got the back half of my house addition up and roofed over, the pitch goes out but the front slope pitch is missing, looks like someone stole half my house addition. My building permit may expire before I am done.

I am using the painted metal roofing, at 1.30 a linear foot, 3 feet wide it is the cheapest and the best looking. I hate nailing shingles in the heat. My shingles on the older part are already showing signs. I got the 30 year ones too, they are less then 3 years old. SO, new section is getting metal. Easier to put up too.

Alistair
    What, me giggle? Sorry, had to pick meself off the floor there...

Dave
    Have a friend with a metal roof on his house - he likes it, A little noisy when it hails, but the snow slides right off. Reflects the sun better too - he has less than ideal insulation in his attic and he says it cooled the house down in the summer after he installed it. He has A/C now.

We have a material called box profile it looks a bit like a corugated roof but instead of round corugations it is broken up(strengthened) by square running profile this is also nice looking and very permanent. You can buy it here sometimes pre-used which I am looking out for.I am intending covering the walls with a sheet of heavy duty damp proof membrane heavy polythene if you like before I put on the cladding as it is so wet here I hope this is ok.I figured out a few days ago that it will give me twice the size shop I had oh joy, oh joy, tra la la la la c'mon sun Alistair

Ibew forgot to say are you sure Thrud did not try to steal your extension he was on the look out for one a while back as a crumpet mansion. He tried to steal my 1148 kg lathe.But was caught despite the pointed slippers

I Built a house for my parents last summer. 2000 2q ft ranch with walk out basement. My dad had the basement built and I did the framing and roof with my younger brother, including tipping up 34' span trusses by hand.(what a bitch) Couldn't get a crane to come in as they had been suide by a builder who had them set trusses, and he didn't nail them in correctly,and they blew down in the wind. They were gun shy. We had two weeks of 95+ degree weather. Their lot is an old farm field on a hill with no trees. I've never been so hot in my life.

The deal I made with my dad was that I would frame, roof and wire it but he would have to contract everything else(I hate drywall and insulation). No pay, but if I needed a tool he bought it. I got a framing nailer, roofing nailer, and a compressor out of the deal. Probably been better off getting paid.

One of the reasons I didn't mind the project is because it kept me from spending money on my wreck of a house. My bank acount needed a break.

I put a metal roof on a garage with a friend of mine. It looks good now, but i wasn't impressed with the painted finish. Wonder what it will look like in a few years when the hale hits it and the crows feet start scratching the paint off in spots. I bought 40 year arch. shingles rated for 80mph winds for my house. They were only about $10 a square more than the 30 yr. I figure I'll be at least 75 before I have to do it again. Even if I can still climb the ladder then, I'll have some young guy do it.

Matt

I will have to re-roof my house in a few years. Currently mineral shingles. When I do it will be galvanised steel. Doesn't burn. Aluminum is not a good plan in an area that has a 140F temp swing.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Thumbs up

You bet on the metal roof,only way to go,asphalt singles suck royally,they are hot and heavy on the rafters.

I am currently between shops,old one is falling down,new one is just a few base plates and anchor cages right now,rain everynight,hot as hell all day
    I just need one more tool,just one!