Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headstock belt change on Taiwanese lathe?

Default Headstock belt change on Taiwanese lathe?

I picked up this Winchester- Shen Wai lathe a few weeks back. I'm in the midst of getting it up and running good. Had to come up with backing plates for the odd spindle thread (2"X8tpi) ; almost have it figured out & will post pictures of what I did later.

It's cutting chips for the backing plate project now. It seems pretty well made for an Asian lathe. However, the spindle drive belt is in bad shape & needs replaced. A google search for this lathe comes up dry, and I'm hoping someone has seen something similar to help point me in the right direction.

It appears to have tapered bearings with a carrier in each end. It looks to me that the two spanner nuts are used to set and lock preload?:

The main back gear on the right is obviously is mounted (keyed?) to the spindle, but I dont see how it stays rigid to the shaft, unless there's a set screw or something under the pulley. There appears to be a collar with a set screw on the left that must hold the pulley/gear assembly in place, and there is a set screw on the pulley that must hold it in place on the backgear drive shaft/gear:

I would be most appreciative for any wisdom the team can offer. I guess I will start by backing off the spanner nuts, & remove the end plates to see how things come apart. (I guess the swarf tray will catch the oil!)

Jeff

How about the adjustable link belts. You can use as many links as it takes to get the right length.
    It's only ink and paper

How about the adjustable link belts. You can use as many links as it takes to get the right length.
    A great belt ,but not for bi-directional rotation applications.

Fred
    Last edited by Pherdie; 03-02-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Repair quote

Such as http://www.mcmaster.com/#2243k13/=u2d7h
    Cheaper variants available, Grizzly and Harbor Freight
    sell but that belt looks to be at least a 5V. Might save
    a headstock tear down. Clik on the catalog page on the L side of
    the page for more options, they have upto 3/4" wide link belts.
    Steve

If that is a 10"X24", one of my lathes is essentially the exact same machine, except mine is painted green and says "JET" on the front. I used one of the adjustable link belts that Carld suggested. Works great and is much less work than tearing the spindle down.

I have a JET manual. It is not too detailed, but has some blow-up type drawing that may be helpful. I think I may have some scans of the the spindle drawing that I can email to you, if I can find it.

All in all a decent machine in that size, I like mine.

They are nice well made lathes. I have one from the same factory but a later model. Taking the spindle apart is relatively easy , watch for set screws in pulleys etc. HOWEVER. I think you will be much happier with the red link belts made by Fenner. I know I am and its a 15 minute job to replace the factory belt.

Yes; it's a 10X24. I had read somewhere that Shen Wai made the 1980's vintage Jet lathes.

It would be great if you had any documentation to share with me; I would be most appreciative.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Pherdie
    A great belt ,but not for bi-directional rotation applications.

Fred
    I don't see me using this much, if at all in reverse. After all, it has a threaded spindle, so any chuck work is out of the question in reverse.....

tattoomike68 Guest

Pop the spindle out, its not magic. looks like less then 2 hours work to me. About 30 minutes and its on the bench. the other time is setting it up all again. hell I bet 10 minutes and the spindle is out and 20 minutes getting it clean ready to go back together.(rolls of paper towels work well at that point)

If you own it you may as well get after it.

I bet the guy who put it together to start with was not a wizzard he just did it. That one is an easy one.
    Last edited by tattoomike68; 03-02-2009 at 09:54 PM.

If it was me, I'd go for a link belt. In theory, they work best in one direction. In reality, they work fine in both directions. Install it so that it's correct for normal direction. That'll probably be its direction of rotation for 99% of the time.

Also, just how heavy a cut can you take with the spindle running backwards when you have a threaded on chuck? I'd think the chuck would drop off before the belt gave any troubles.

Ian