Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1144 or Equivelent stress proof

BillH Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DR
    1144 or equivalent stress roof???

Generic 1144 is not equivalent to Stressproof.

Stressproof is a proprietary product of LaSalle Steel. It's processed to be much better in all respects than generic 1144. In all respects, that is, except price.
    Not my words, speedy metals.

Stressproof is 1144 that's been cold drawn ("cold rolled") and then tempered to relieve the skin stress.

Real LaSalle-brand Stressproof is expensive, but I've used good-quality knock-offs that were nearly as good. Like Steve said, the tell-tale sign is the blackening from the heat treat oven.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

What is the advantage of 1144 Stressproof over 4140 High Tensile? 4140 is supposed to have good/very good machining properties and I have found that it machines very well.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by jones
    What is the advantage of 1144 Stressproof over 4140 High Tensile?
    No advantage -- different animals. Stressproof is cold-rolled carbon steel that's been heat treated so it doesn't warp when you machne it. 4140 is chromoly (alloy) steel, and comes in hot rolled and cold rolled.

Stressproof is resulfurized to make it very machineable, and because of the heat treat process, it's partially hardened (around 30 Rockwell), and has a higher tensile strength than mild steel. So it's somewhat like a free-machining, less extreme version of 4140 Pre Hard.

LaSalle also makes a free-machining version of 4140 Pre Hard, called "ETD-150"
    http://www.niagaralasalle.com/products/ETD.html
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Originally Posted by DR
    "1144 or equivalent stress roof???

Generic 1144 is not equivalent to Stressproof.

Stressproof is a proprietary product of LaSalle Steel. It's processed to be much better in all respects than generic 1144. In all respects, that is, except price. "

Not my words, speedy metals.

Bill,

Then I would say they're using deception to rip you off. Instead of using the actual name "Stressproof" (one word) they break it down into two words.

This is like giving you Pepsi when you order Coke, or giving you acetal when you order Delrin.