Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool technology

Default Cool technology

Just another cool technology you guys and gals might be interested in. Although there would be issues with the current form, I thought it was just cool as hell. That this gizmo can "grow" a WORKING model is very impressive.

http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105...a4377d3bfd6c81

Whadda you all think?

link appears broken

Tain't, it's working well over here.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I gave up on it.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I dunno. I just clicked on it and it worked fine. Sorry guys. I can't repair it if it ain't broke on this end.

It is a link to a flash/shockwave video application. If you don't have the appropriate software/players installed it wont work.

Stereolithography, aka 3D Printing. Been around for a while in various forms (the earliest used rolls of paper IIRC). The cost will come down to the hobbiest level eventually (and most likely be made in China). There are plans out on the internet for a do it yourself version http://fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page cost estimate is arund $2000
    The optimist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says it's half empty. The paranoid in me says somebody put a hole in it.

Remember pessimists are at heart opptomists. They know things can and will get worse.

$2000? I bet I can build one for much less. I'll make it from beetle killed pine. I wonder if you can make one to work with concrete?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I worked with selective laser sintering, that was really cool. I understand the range of materials it can work has really expanded in the last few years and cycle-times/accuracy are improving.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Im taking a SolidWorks class at a local college right now and in the second half we get to model something within reason and use the 3-d printer to make it. They have a display of other stuff students have made and it is pretty impressive.

I was thinking of doing something like a mobius strip or a klein bottle, but the klein bottle wouldnt be see thru so I dont know. That and I dont think my math skills or drawing skills in solidworks is good enough yet

Someone posted a page a long time ago that had all kinds of cool models of mathmatical shapes, anyone got a link for that?
    FuQ