Thread: bike parts from the home machine shop

Default bike parts from the home machine shop

in keeping with the general forum and also throwin the gear heads a bone.here is my first try at building some lower shock mounts for a custom application on my buddies kawasaki z1000 j.if anyone else want's to post some home shop bike part machining here that would be just fine as well.here i clamped the alum chunk down and made a pass to figure out where i was at.

i figured cutting and seeing and measureing the cut would be quicker than indicators.

i cut the first one by plunging down .040 then rotate around lift go back to start plunge and startover.took about 40 minutes for the first radius to the full depth of 1.180.then i set the other one up and found that i could move to the area that the cutter would overhang the cut and easily plunge to full depth.okay(scratch's head)i started just moving over like .200 each time and plunging(all this with a 3/4" 4 flute hss bottom cutting endmill)had it roughed out in ten minutes.went back and made some finish cuts to size(size not critical).here is where i have them now,i need to finish the fly cutting and move on to the brake stabilizer anchor.more to come,hehe..

leon holmes

looking forward to more.

Yeah, keep em coming.
    We love purty colored photos.
    Are you just lowering the back end, or is it for a custom swing arm?
    If possible take some before and after shots.
    Thanks for sharing.

thanks for the comments guys.
    there will be more to come.i am doing these for a friend who is building a custom kawasaki z1000j,we have already done the front end conversion from stock kawasaki to the front end off of a suzuki hayabusa.i had to press the stems out of both lower tripple trees and then spin up a bushing to press over the stock kawi stem then press the stem and bushing in to the busa lower tree.now you just use stock size kawi bearings and bolt the busa front end right on.i will try to get some pictures of his bike posted this evening.
    these shock brackets will be bolted to a plate that will be bolted(with nutserts)to the swingarm of a suzuki tl 1000.the tl swingarm is originally a mono shock and my buddy is going to use dual shocks.
    my buddy is in norway and they have very strict laws about modifications on motor vehicles.it is hard to find machine shops there and very expensive if you can find someone who is willing to work on modifying parts for bikes.
    we became friends through a kawi forum we are both on and he needed some machine work done and could not find anyone willing to do it locally.so i said ship it to me,he did and i did the work.
    thanks for lookin,
    leon holmes

Wow Leon, that's quite the undertaking when the bike is sitting in your shop. I can't imagine doing such an extensive custom project half way around the world!
    I'm sure there's got to be some comprehensive measurements taken and a bit of head scratching going on as well.
    Keep us posted.

more shock bracket madness,here is the subject.

i found a four jaw under the bench that just so happened to be eight inches with a bolt on threaded hub that was held on with four countersunk screws.so i made short work of cleaning it up and removing the hub and modifying some bolts and t nuts to work.got the four jaw chuck bolted to the rotary table so i could hold the odd shaped bracket for fly cutting to thickness.

peeking over the edge of my chipguard=(which was a windshield off of my buddies wrecked honda vtx).

a better view of my chipguard,attached to a t nut in a slot in the front of the table with some hold down bolts from the set for the mill.

thanks for lookin.

leon holmes