Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do knurlers last?

Hybrid View

Default How long do knurlers last?

Either I've forgotten how to use a knurler tonight, or something else is going on.

Straight knurl, used for about 60 small pieces, instead of nice crisp knurls forming in a few seconds, all I'm getting is a mushy knurl pattern and slurry after (what I feel) is in an overly long time and with undo pressure. I've been cleaning it constantly, and it doesn't help. Time to order a new one? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Gary

Is this after 60 of the same parts? Just wondering if you're doing a different part with a diameter that doesn't mesh as nicely.

Does it track evenly on the first revolution?

-Matt

Default Knurls

I find if the diameter of the part is not an exact multiple of the knurl spacing they double track.
    Also I leave my knurling tool float loose so it can move into the groves if there is a slight missalignment.
    But as a cutting tool/press tool they do wear out.
    PaulF

Size has nothing to do with this, you aren't cutting and removing metal as in gear making but rather "displacing" it. At somepoint when you tighten up the knurler you will reach a point at which time you will have perfect knurls. "If you could" displace a 1" thick piece of steel down to 1/4" thick you would find that at several different diameters along the way you would have perfect knurls. Call it a harmonic relationship if you want, it amounts to the same thing in my mind.

If you refute this, explain to me how it is that I can get perfect points on any random diameter of stock I choose to knurl?

If your knurler looks muddy that's what you will end up with. When the knurler is new and crisp looking you get crisp knurls. I find the process generates a lot of heat so it is possible your knurlers are shot.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

What type of knurl holder are you using? What's the material?

The easiest way to get good knurls is with an opposed wheel type knurler, the scissor type is popular and inexpensive. One pass and the knurl is completley done.

Quote Originally Posted by DR
    What type of knurl holder are you using? What's the material?

Ok, this is what I'm doing:

Using a quick change style tool post knurler (Phase II) KP size knurls

Using only ONE knurl (two weren't syncing up half the time)

12L14 steel, parts are about 3/4" in diameter,

Knurling was going fine, did about 50 -60 parts and then last night I just suddenly couldn't get decent knurl pattern, have to toss last night's work. I did find the other knurler, just feeling the old one with my finger it doesn't seem as sharp as the newer one.

I'm going to try running the other knurl tonight and see if it's an improvement.
    Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Gary

Default What?

Quote Originally Posted by Your Old Dog
    Size has nothing to do with this, you aren't cutting and removing metal as in gear making but rather "displacing" it. At somepoint when you tighten up the knurler you will reach a point at which time you will have perfect knurls. "If you could" displace a 1" thick piece of steel down to 1/4" thick you would find that at several different diameters along the way you would have perfect knurls. Call it a harmonic relationship if you want, it amounts to the same thing in my mind.

If you refute this, explain to me how it is that I can get perfect points on any random diameter of stock I choose to knurl?

If your knurler looks muddy that's what you will end up with. When the knurler is new and crisp looking you get crisp knurls. I find the process generates a lot of heat so it is possible your knurlers are shot.

"Harmonic relationship" I don't think so, What is hapening is you pass through diameters that are even divisions of the ridge spacing.

See Machine Shop Trade Secrets by James Harvy pg. 189/190.

PaulF

Here we go again...

Europe-Asia border aka somewhere on the Saros

Quote Originally Posted by PaulF
    "Harmonic relationship" I don't think so, What is hapening is you pass through diameters that are even divisions of the ridge spacing.

PaulF
    ??!? Hmmm you must have a different definition of harmonics than they taught me... Harmonics are basically multiples.. usually applied to acoustics/vibrations, but still mathematical multiples... You're arguing the same side of the discussion... White is black, black is white, you are wrong and I am right...

Hey Liger, Pass the popcorn...
    Last edited by camdigger; 04-02-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulF

PaulF
    Yup. That's what I said and then qualified it with an "in my mind".
    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-02-2009 at 03:23 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.