Thread: Tool Gloat - Holdridge Radii Cutter

Smile Tool Gloat - Holdridge Radii Cutter

I have needed/wanted a ball turner for the last 5 or so years but never ran across an affordable used one the right size. I did find some nice plans and twice bought the materials to make one but they got used in other paying projects before I got around to making them. Guess it never got high enough on the totem pole...

Last Friday I got lucky and found an almost new Holdridge 3D at a shop that is doing some dramatic downsizing for a good price. The paint on it is interesting. It is a splatter style that reminds me of the trunk of an early 60's Dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD
    I have needed/wanted a ball turner for the last 5 or so years but never ran across an affordable used one the right size. I did find some nice plans and twice bought the materials to make one but they got used in other paying projects before I got around to making them. Guess it never got high enough on the totem pole...

Last Friday I got lucky and found an almost new Holdridge 3D at a shop that is doing some dramatic downsizing for a good price. The paint on it is interesting. It is a splatter style that reminds me of the trunk of an early 60's Dodge.

Nice. I picked up a 3S for $50 a couple of months ago. Now I need to find decent examples of Atlas ocmpound and cross slide handles to copy.

I think that set cost about $300-$400 in real money back in 1965. Very good score! Gary P. Hansen

I hope you can read Greek , "cause you're gonna need it to figutre out the insrtructions
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Last Friday I got lucky and found an almost new Holdridge 3D at a shop that is doing some dramatic downsizing for a good price.
    Mike, you might qualify the gloat that they sold you the Holdridge for such a good price in return for half a day's labor
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

I bought a 4" ball capacity one brand new from the factory in 1985.It cost about 450 when at that time the dollar was probably about $1.3=1.
    No plastic in the box,all wood and very nice.
    Mark.

No Robert, the 48 CAT40 tool holders were for the couple of hours of sorting through the toolroom. But if I had not been digging around, I would not have found it.

But if I had not been digging around, I would not have found it.
    Good point -- who knows what other cool stuff they'll find when they move out
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Mickey

Nice score!!!!!

Austin seems to have some nice machines/tooling in that area.

Hal