Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings Everybody

Talking Greetings Everybody

It has been a while since I posted. I have been laying about at home reading everything I can to keep from losing my mind. I took a really bad fall on my arse in January of this year and ruptured my L5 disk. I am not doing all that well and am stoned most the time. That being said...I want to thank everyone here for keeping my mind active and thinking about machining. I wander out to the shop and make sure the machines don't get lonely. I want in the worst way to do things and make some chips but I resist with everything I have. I am utterly scared to try anything that requires power tools. Under the influence of Oxycodone I feel too dumb to play with power equipment. I keep thinking about that photo of the guy who got eaten by a big lathe.

Anyway....good to have you folks on the other side of the screen. HSM has been years of great reading...and still gets even better now that I spend so much time at home. I read when I am sitting up in my chair...but I lay down often.. and the laptop doesn't work well in a reclined position.

Make an extra chip or two for this crippled (hopefully temporarily)ol' booger.

Cheers
    Mac.

Smile

I keep thinking about that photo of the guy who got eaten by a big lathe.
    We dont want another of those images Bill.

I have been stuffing about with some old Raleigh 20's and Healing bicycles that I have in the shed. I have got to make some space ( get rid of important items ) so I can more easily negotiate the obstacles with my chair.

Look after yourself.
    Ken.

tony ennis Guest

Your tools are lonely but you're being smart about it. Good for you.

Hang in there. Let your body heal and keep focused. You'll get back out there soon.

Keep moving around and get better soon.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Boy o boy, I got just a taste of what youre going thru, and I didnt like it ONE bit

I been messin with this KOLee grinder and last Thurs I 'tweaked' the ole back -- Fri and Sat were wipe outs, eating Ibuprofin like candy, -- Sun the lure was to strong so wandered out there but pretty quickly found was too soon, so ate some more Ibu and thankfully Tues was back to being able to get around OK...

Im dreading the day when Im not gonna be able to 'spring' back...and at 69 yrs, that is probably not too far off
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

CNC is a good answer to these issues. Load the part, set everything up with all power off and then step back and push the buttons. If it goes haywire press the stop button and turn it all off before approaching.

I have power everything on my tools. The nice thing about electrically powered feeds is that they can be disengaged by flipping a switch. I can't stand in one place for very long, especially to do something like slowly turning the handwheel to do a long cut on the lathe or mill. With electric leadscrew and cross feed on my South Bend I can sit to the end and adjust the feed by turning a knob or disengage it entirely by turning off the electric feed clutch.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

My experience with back injury? well the drugs were harder to quit than to get used to the pain.
    They had me taking seven medications a day. I was so addicted to the depression meds and pain meds, and knock out pills to sleep? well.. it took months to get away from them. I don't like pills, or the way they make me feel, useless.. self made moron? NOW they keep trying to put me on Zoloft and other crap.. I like the world and don't want to escape into a mindless life.

Inversion table, like a cot on hinges.. you clamp your ankles in, raise your arms, it inverts.. set the linkages to do it slowly.. your body is in traction. Measure your height before and after a session with one, the discs expand decompressing.

A chinese girl IN colorado springs showed me how to pop my own back like a chiropractor, Mine rusts behind the house. I started to toss it.. but it relieved the pain and I can't part with it.

I have three bad discs, stress making muscles clamp down, making spasms, making it all much worse than it is for me.

age 30-40, the discs go through a softening process, it is very easy to damage them, then they harden more than they were before, if your back is out of alignment when they harden up? OMG.. I can only imagine.. the spine is a stack of bones held together by muscle in alignment.. Funny nobody teaches this to people before they hurt themselves.

Take care.. mind yourself, throw them drugs away as soon as possible. May god bless and relieve your pain.
    Excuse me, I farted.

I too did this. Very painful and frustrating. A back brace will help. It is like a girdle and takes some of the strain off your back. Light stretching exercises without straining stressing your back ( Canadian Air force back exercises pamphlet ) had a great routine. Drop the pain meds as soon as you can. Learn that the heavy or awkward things can just stay there until you have a mechanical means of moving them. People do not understand until their back craps out. Take care of yourself so you can make chips again.

Bob

Thanks for the kind thoughts everybody.

I have had 1 steroid injection in my spine. I am scheduled for another. They don't seem to work...much if at all. I probably need surgery to fix it. At this point I honestly don't care...I just want the pain gone...and the ability to work again. It is an L&I issue and they are treating this like a joke. They approve a little at a time..not wanting to fix it.

At this point I am constantly stuck with a lean to the right to get away from the pain. I also lean forward like the hunchback. It is a helluva way to live. I cannot lean left or back.

I am not sure where this is heading. I don't really seem to have much say in it. They are totally willing to let me sit and suffer while they decide what to pay for ...and what not. Doesn't seem right....but that is bureaucracy for ya.

Cheers
    Mac.

BE very careful with spinal injections.. THE company doctor I was seeing? well he had a special cocktail.. it was novacaine, steroids, and "saline solution".. what that saline solution does is harden the soft disc..

This makes you near pain free for a while, ten years later it creeps back up on you. Saline causes calcium deposits and other things to impose upon the nerves in there. Lil sharp things that look like stalactites and mites.. Grind on the nerves each time you move. Making your feet go numb and you stumble. Old people shuffle their feet for a reason.

THE pain free part? it lets the company if you were hurt on the job get off much cheaper.. they don't care.. if you are hurt you are no further use to them..
    Excuse me, I farted.