Thread: always nice to have the proper tool for the job

Smile always nice to have the proper tool for the job

one of my crazy projects involved drilling 3/4" holes in some 1/4" thick steel. i have a holesaw that i use, but the drill press i had didn't go quite slow enough, and even if it did, the belts would always slip if the holesaw even stalled for an instant. last fall i picked up the UP mill/drill for doing some work in the basement in the winter, as well as drilling larger holes in things that wouldn't fit on the lathe. well tonight i decided to finish drilling the holes for the project and put the handy-dandy huge ball bearing Jacobs chuck in the mill/drill and had at it. well when i was using the cheesy drill press it would take me literally 20 minutes to drill a hole because of the slipping belts. i am proud to say that tonight it took me all of 1 minute to drill the two remaining 3/4" holes.
    in fact, it tool about ten times as long to get the mill/drill ready. even taking that ten minutes into account, i still saved 1/2 hour. now i am pissed at myself for not getting the mill/drill sooner because the previous six holes took me all afternoon one day.

it is nice to have the proper tools for the job.

andy b.

Hi, Andy,

Agree completely. Not only quicker, but more enjoyable. This weekend, I changed the oil and sharpened the blade on the lawn mower. A made-in-china adjustable wrench and socket set would probably got-er-dun. However, using my forty year old Snap-On stuff made a chore a pleasure.

thnx, jack vines

i have found that a set of these rotocutters from alfa are absolutely great. my set is 1/4" thru 3/4" and good for 1/4" material. a 3/4" hole would take about 10 seconds, maybe less.

the whole set in a box was less than $75 bucks.

i could not find the exact item in their catalog as its somewhat new but here's the general idea. . .

http://alfatools.com/cat1/a/page56.pdf.

does anyone else share this opinion ?

davidh

Default hole saw

we use theam at work and they work real good

Ironworkers have went to a shell type bit cutting steel for ten plus years. On all the mag drills..

I changed the oil and sharpened the blade on the lawn mower.
    Brass hammer, leather mallet, Hammer, chisel, pry bar, snap on socket set, 4" cut off tool, 7 1/2hp compressor, airline, chain hoist and Ibeam.

Victim? Very old snapper mower with 1/2 bolts holding the blade to a mount, bolts were siezed from mowing rocks. After messing with them for a while I cut them cross ways and split them off the bolts. Sharpened the blade and put them back on. I also got to beat the front of the mower deck back round instead of flat across the front. (jumping rocks)

Those old snapper roos are amazing.. there is a round rubber tire on the transaxle, a disc spins on the motor.. the gears are just moving the rubber across the disc to gain speed changes. Clutch disengages it all. Neutral is a depression in the middle of the disc. Simple. I remember seeing a tapping machine similar gearbox.

Rotten tires from sitting.. PITB. Done replaced one, another "broke" while mowing. Older brother had the snapper-roo and had bought a new Cub Cadet. So it sit.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    i have found that a set of these rotocutters from alfa are absolutely great...

davidh

Holy smokes... I picked up a box (maybe two dozen) of those at a machine shop auction a few months ago. They were part of a lot of "random stuff boxes" and I think I paid maybe 5 bucks for all of it. I thought they were specialized mills of some sort and just left them in the corner to become dust collectors.

Thanks for that post!

Default Haugen Rota Broach

For round holes in the side of pipe and overlapping holes the rotabroaches are hard to beat. I prefer to use coolant whenever possible and even went the extra $200 plus for an infuser so I only get coolant when actually cutting.
    As with anything there is a downside, with the annular cutters it is cost and the swarf is nasty,stringy and sharp. The upside being round, uniform holes done with a low horsepower machine.
    The little set for under 1/4 inch thick is really nice for "drilling" sheetmetal.

take a look at www.hougen.com

Thumbs up Rotobroaches

I got a set from a friend, who got them in a grab bag of stuff at a flea market in Baton Rouge. I found that they were the "cat's a$$" for drilling holes for antenna mounts in a vehicle. Makes a nice neat hole without distorting the surrounding metal. I have used them for near on 20 years and am inpressed with their performance every time I use them.
    Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.