Thread: Using a Rigid 450 Tristand ?

Default Using a Rigid 450 Tristand ?

In another thread it was mentioned that these tools were used for bending conduit and pipe. An explanation of how this is done would be appreciated. Pictures would be better. The holes to the right edge of the chain vice with their rounded edges would support conduit but would not let it extend very far before hitting the folding center. I spent 35 years wresling 4 1/2" drill stem but I don't think that i could bend 1" sch 40 pipe in this by hand. There is an aprox 3/4 threaded bolt with a reduced dia nose that comes from underneath on the left side of the chain vice. What is this for and are there bushings or something that fit on that nose? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

it's to dark for pictures and digging mine out now. If the bolt with the shaped loose fit piece on the end is what you are talking about. Is used to hold the vise in place. The idea is you place a section of pipe on top and point up to touch the ceiling, tighten the bolt till it locks the vise in place. It does work up to a point, as it can come loose if you really GO rilla it. And yes the bending of electrical conduit is what the holes and saddles are for. You only bend short leg/stub 90's with it. the long leg being out and up above the center tray. Since it is easier to use a hickey bender for up to 1" even intermediate conduit. The ridig bending shoes are pretty much ignored. Since with the intermediate conduit you really need the vise locked down or lag screws thru the holes in the feet of the legs.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Is the gizmo that fits inside the pipe and then is adjusted so it locks the stand in place to a point by the section of pipe to the ceiling.

Are the three holes and saddles that can be used for bending conduit or pipe.

The holes in the foot so it cam be lagged screwed or bolted to the floor. In some boiler rooms that had the room and used one a lot. I have seen the legs bolted to the lead anchors set in the floors. If they aren't set flush they can be a tripping hazard.

Hope this helps as I had no short lengths of black pipe,galvanized or EMT or the Intermediate conduit to bend anything up. Only full length sticks,

The paint job is custom, as before I did it it seemed always to get headed into the back of somebody else truck on jobs. They get confused that they don't own one ,but thought it was theirs. It stopped the confusion first day it showed up painted amazing.

The stand is good from 1/8" to 5" pipe
    Glen
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Quote Originally Posted by PTSideshow
    The paint job is custom, as before I did it it seemed always to get headed into the back of somebody else truck on jobs. They get confused that they don't own one ,but thought it was theirs. It stopped the confusion first day it showed up painted amazing.

The stand is good from 1/8" to 5" pipe
    That's one reason why I stay away from DeWalt tools!

Had a co-worker buy two new DeWalt drills, the second day he had them someone walked off with them. Came up and asked if I'd seen them, and I just looked around at the 20 other guys there with DeWalts, and said 'Ummm...."
    Meanwhile, my ugly old Porter Cables always sit where I leave them.

While unloading tools one time, I noticed I had two identical socket sets, never did figure out where the extra one came from. Odd because most of the work I do is with the same people and crews, and for a couple weeks afterwards I'd ask if anyone had a socket I could borrow, figuring that someone would say they lost theirs, or it got stolen. Didn't think I'd get an honest answer if I just walked around asking who lost some.

Ken.

Most any fitter or plumber on a job wouldn't be caught without those vises! I doubt they were ever intended to bend schedule 40 pipe. EMT maybe, but not pipe. And as already said, a hicky or pipe bender is much more efficient and easier to bend pipe.

Those stands are used more for holding pipe while welding, soldering, cutting, grinding, etc. I'm glad I have one, they are worth their weight in gold.

Don't know if you can bend a conduit box offset without a 300lb electrician from Gawgia.

Yes, I have thumped myself in the head a few times.

Short hickies there.. I've seen ironworkers bend red hot rebar in there to tie it together too. I've been on numerous jobs where a hickie bender is not to be had. *hickie bender, a short radius bender for doing short close together bends for boxes and three corner saddles. Without the hickie, you got a rigid tri-stand.

A kitty litter box, fashioned from a old pallet, piece of plywood on top with sideboards, lined with plastic is what you have to bolt it down to save the threading oil in "critical situations" Fill with sweeping compound.

AND yes, after carrying my tristand upon a stainless drier to run some instrument conduits, sharing with the nice fitters my port-a-band and threaders.. when I went to go home and load my tools, one of them rascals had welded it to the oven top so "they'd have it tomorrow".. there was three holes to repair the next day. *don't mess with a electrician who is also a HSM'er..

Which brings us to the next big toy, port-a-power.. rigid hand held threading head. 700?? 660? what is the model number.. they used to have threaded handles to screw a piece of 3/4 into them, now they don't.. you have to fashion a loop of rope and tie it to the tri-stand leg to take the strain.. Port a pony?? okay my last two brain cells are rubbing and making sparks..

OHH, and I have made go-carts, work cages, frameworks and other things using a 1" rigid electrician's conduit bender and 3/4" schedule 80 pipe.. the scariest was a sidecar for a buddy in a wheelchair.. he'd roll up onto it, flip the ramp up behind him, lock it all in, and ride the bike off.. Bike had a tiller instead of handlebars..
    Last edited by Dawai; 05-15-2009 at 09:06 PM.
    Excuse me, I farted.

A half in hickey/EMT bender heads front and back with pipe handle screwed in.

Is a Benfield bender for 1/2" rigid or 3/4" EMT there are also larger ones that are mounted on wheels called Chicago benders, and the Hossfled bender is one brand along with Greenlee

EMT can be hand bent up to 1 1/4". Of course most of what are used for bending square or round tubing for home shop projects or roll cages started life as some brand of conduit bender.

Electricians guide to conduit bending
    2nd edition
    by Richard A Cox
    LCCCN#82-81759
    spiral bound paper back

This is another one of those dual uses books. Every Electrician has it or some version of it close at hand when they are bending any large amounts of conduit. Whether they would admit it or not. Having dealt with in house and contractors for over 30 years, they have it but it will be in their truck, box or rolled up in their pocket.
    The dual use comes in from the fact that almost anybody that has fabricated more than two somethings. Probably has used EMT,IMC,RMC or even Rigid PVC. But you also can apply the math and techniques to other materials or style of tubing.

The first part of the book deals with math, and hand benders and the assorted bends and kicks for EMT or thin wall (Electrical Metallic Conduit is the proper name). And a lot of tricks and things do a sharp looking job.

The second half deals with RMC (Rigid Metal Conduit) and the benders both hand and the assorted powered benders of assorted styles. There are bending tips for aluminum, and segment bending along with different methods of doing it.

And it has a chapter on the IMC (Intermediate Metal Conduit) is a type between the EMT and RMC and like rigid is cut,reamer and threaded with regular pipe tooling.
    The difference is in the wall thickness

Finally ending with tables and charts,electrical formulas, glossary, and answers to problems.

It is available here:http://www.mtroubleshooting.com/
    And at most better wholesale houses some on display some in a plain brown wrapper under the counter You will have to ask for it by name.

You also can go to your local big box store and check them out for EMT bending, They have the basic instructions on the cardboard header.
    Glen

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Those are just benders...... There is a really short version that is called a "hickey" around here... I don't have one nor a pic of one handy..... You have to use it in several places to make a 90 deg bend.

Actiually, here's a link to an ad with a pic of one

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREENLEE-512-HIC...QQcmdZViewItem

Default Tristand use

I really appreciate the effort and the information found in this thread. Since this vise now resides under the Old Oak Tree behind the shop the ceiling is hard to reach. The nose piece that goes into the upward pointing pipe is missing on my tristand. My main use for this tool has been for holding and building sub assemblies. We also color coded our tools so we could tell which truck they beloned on and to keep separate when customers wanted to borrow one.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX