Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newall M20 DRO's

Default Newall M20 DRO's

I had an interesting thing happen over the weekend. I went to use my 8 month old DRO and pluged it in and powered it up and it did not act right. Then when I moved the X and Y travels only the Y did anything and it went wild. I figured it went ks**t and was glad it was still under warranty.

I always unplug it because I don't want the lightning to zap it. Today I called Newall and after I described what it was doing he said the battery is dead. BATTERY?, it has a battery in it? Yes, he said, and it only lasts about 6 months. Well, howdy do, thought I.

So, he said there is no way I can replace the battery without killing my warranty. He did tell me how to reset the DRO each time I plug it in and with about 14 steps I can get it up and running. He said they are working on a solution but I doubt it will be a retro fit for me. I will still unplug it when not in use and I made a cheat sheet attached to the DRO to reset it.

I am mentally designing a battery backup for it but I don't know if it's worth the effort because it's not to hard to reset it.

The point of all this is, I wonder just how many other DRO's out there have a battery to run the memory and why they designed it that way?
    Just how hard would it have been to put the battery under a door on the back of the console.
    It's only ink and paper

gnm109 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carld
    I had an interesting thing happen over the weekend. I went to use my 8 month old DRO and pluged it in and powered it up and it did not act right. Then when I moved the X and Y travels only the Y did anything and it went wild. I figured it went ks**t and was glad it was still under warranty.

I always unplug it because I don't want the lightning to zap it. Today I called Newall and after I described what it was doing he said the battery is dead. BATTERY?, it has a battery in it? Yes, he said, and it only lasts about 6 months. Well, howdy do, thought I.

So, he said there is no way I can replace the battery without killing my warranty. He did tell me how to reset the DRO each time I plug it in and with about 14 steps I can get it up and running. He said they are working on a solution but I doubt it will be a retro fit for me. I will still unplug it when not in use and I made a cheat sheet attached to the DRO to reset it.

I am mentally designing a battery backup for it but I don't know if it's worth the effort because it's not to hard to reset it.

The point of all this is, I wonder just how many other DRO's out there have a battery to run the memory and why they designed it that way?
    Just how hard would it have been to put the battery under a door on the back of the console.

Let me see if I understand. The representative for the Newall company admits that the battery only lasts six months. Furthermore, they will deny your warranty in the event that you replace the six month rated battery when it fails after six months? LOL.
    Last edited by gnm109; 06-08-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Thank you for posting this. I am about six weeks from DRO shopping and Newall was on my short list. Not now.

Default Typical overeaction

Battery probably goes dead when DRO is left UNPLUGGED... It has to provide for Internal memory for User Settings.

Being Plugged in takes care of that...

A cheap Computer UPS will protect against Voltage Spikes... And many (like APC Models) will replace anything that got fried by a spike that made it past them.

Lightning of course, can fry anything... Even unplugged items...

Voiding Warrenty for internal battery replacement is a bit odd, but so is unplugging DRO all the time...

A Newall M20 is still on my Short list...

Edit: opening a case to replace a battery will break the Seal, and even I would not warrenty a Repair/Battery replacement made by a inexperienced user, with a 20kv Static Charge built up on his finger poking around on main board...
    Last edited by Bguns; 05-27-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Good luck. I hope mine doesn't go out, but I'm guessing out of warranty anyway.

On that same note, I do find it odd that there is no "off" button on this thing. The supposed power button just puts it in sleep mode, but any movement in the reader head causes it to display "Displaced" until turned back on.

I love my M20, and would like to get one for the Mill some day.
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

The battery is not recharged by the unit, it just gets used if the unit is unpluged. If the unit sets on a dealer shelf it is dying at that time according to them.

Anything pluged in but turned off is still subject to lightning surges in the line. If it's unpluged the lightning has to strike on or very close to even posibly damage the unit. You have a greater chance of destroying the unit when it is pluged in. There have been consoles blasted by lightning in shops I have worked in and the repair was expensive.

The console has a switch on the back to turn it off and a power up/down button on the front.

To Newall's credit the M20 is a very good unit but why they put a battery in it and didn't use a non powered memory is strange. I have never heard of a battery in any DRO's I have seen. Now I wonder if any of the others use a battery. I am hoping I can update mine when they come out with an improved model. I would prefer they drop the battery some way.
    It's only ink and paper

The thing that I objected to in my earlier post was the battery location. Fair enough that opening the case voids the warranty, that's not the point. What is the point is that the battery is mounted in such a way as to require a risky* procedure to replace. And that the battery has a shelf life of six months.

The OP mentioned Newall's awareness of the problem but didn't have a solution for him**. To me, if a business is worthy of my money they act like it after the sale as well as before.

*risky as mentioned above

** a 14 step work-around is not a solution.

Greg

I'm sorry, I don't know why I got it cross wired in my brain, but I have a C80, not an M20. And I know I already looked all over it for a real off switch, but I just double checked anyway, and there is no off switch behind the readout.

And I agree, that "solution" is not acceptable, particularly combined with "we know we screwed up and there is a problem, but if you fix the problem the only way we know to fix it, we are going to void your warranty". I think I would want to demand a refund or pursue other avenues of applying pressure. As I said, I love my DRO and was thinking I would like one for the mill. However, this does not indicate a company with good customer appreciation and service. If you are likely to have to deal with that garbage, it makes the less expensive options look far more attractive. At least then you are not paying a premium to get brushed off when something goes wrong...
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Carl , when you talked to Newall , did you check for a local authorized repair center ? A friend of mine had a problem with a DRO of another company while under warranty and had it fixed locally . By taking it to ARC the remaining warranty was still valid after the repair . Total cost to him was $15 in gasoline . It is worth a shot . JMTC Dan

No Dan, I didn't ask about a local repair shop, I guess I was flabergasted when they mentioned battery and only after I got it working again did I think about what he said. I intend to call and ask about the battery problem and a posible solution.

Greg, that was another thing that came to mind after I talked to them, why didn't they put the battery under a cover on the back of the console.

One solution I have considered is a computer UPS unit as that would resolve the lightning damage issue as mentioned by Bguns.

I am not going to replace the battery because it will just go out again. I may remove it after the warranty though to git rid of a posible corrosion issue.
    It's only ink and paper