Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool size question from newbie!

Default Tool size question from newbie!

New to lathe ownership that is, my generic Chinese 12x36 was delivered early this year and so far I have always used very light weight tools but now I have some much heavier HSS tools with 1/2" or maybe 9/16" shanks. They are more rigid and I persuade myself that I am getting a better finish.

So now I am worried as having twisted and broken a couple of the lighter weight tools I dont know what would break if the similar situation occurs with a heavy tool in the holder

In one case a cut off tool jammed and snapped the tool (yes I had my goggles on!) and in another while turning up to a shoulder I pushed the power handle through 'stop' right into 'reverse' which it being a single phase machine just continued merrily along to jam the tool and twist the shank into a pretzel shape!

Question, what are some of the things old hands do to avoid the consequences of a nasty prang?

Think.... you have to think ahead of your work progress, you cannot be behind your progress or this will most surely happen, or worse.

Ken

airsmith282 Guest

ther ligtest tools i use in my lathe are 1/8 and the bigest are 1/2 just depends what iam doing , but i have shatterard a 1/2 tool once that was HSS and man i was upset thoes buggers were not to cheap , anyhow take your cuts a bit ighter. just cause you can hog some big cuts dont mean you should, i have a 10x18 busy bee b2227l lathe and it can hog some good cuts but i dont do it,

What's a prang?

Quote Originally Posted by websterz
    What's a prang?
    A Prang is just like a Prong, only different .

Steve

I really don't think we should be discussing our prongs here.

Quote Originally Posted by websterz
    What's a prang?
    What you can expect if you let the missus (or your children) drive your car or ride your bike.
    Sometimes minor, mostly not.
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artful Bodger
    and in another while turning up to a shoulder I pushed the power handle through 'stop' right into 'reverse' which it being a single phase machine just continued merrily along to jam the tool and twist the shank into a pretzel shape!
    You should be disengaging the carriage feed lever to stop the travel, not the power lever.

It sounds as though you are using the motor foreward/reverse switch (power lever) in an attempt to stop the travel at the end of your cut.

What Glenn said and stop shy of the shoulder using your hand wheel to sneak up on it.
    Quote “ What’s a prang” quote
    You know, like the sound a spring makes when it breaks…pranggggg.

Cheers, Bob

i guess as long as his tool isn't going "shwinnngggg" when using his lathe, he should be okay.

andy b.