Thread: Bliss press?

Hybrid View

Question Bliss press?

Newby here, I just purchased an old, (we think) 20 ton obi press. As of yet, we can't find any tag/numbers on it. Would any one have any advice about how to find out what it is? Thanks!

Pictures please! My friend Todd knows Bliss stuff forwards and backwards.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

http://www.bcntechserv.com/

BCN Technical Service owns everything related to Bliss, Clearing, Niagara, and several other "old time" press companies. They should have documents and drawings on file for presses similar to your.

Not affiliated, just found them one day while frantically trying to find repair parts for a dead Niagara A-3.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

At my day job, we build die area guarding for several press manufacturers an, tho it's been a few years since I've built one for a Bliss, I should have a few of their old press brochures around and I'm almost positive that I can get you a contact number. I'll get back with you soon as I dig it up.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

FWIW, with most of the older presses the tonnage can be determined fairly accurately by the diameter of the crank. There's a formula relating crank diameter to tonnage. I've verified on several punches and it's within +/-10%.

The bad news is I don't recall the formula, but it's in one of my old press books. Which book is the question.

Smile Bliss-

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I have a couple good pic's of the press, but I don't see how I can post right now. Thanks again!

Rickster: There is a link at the top of the forum that explains how to use photobucket.

Trust me: If you can setup and operate one of these presses you can figure out photobucket.

Default Posting pics

Quote Originally Posted by rickster
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I have a couple good pic's of the press, but I don't see how I can post right now. Thanks again!
    Rickster.

Why not email the pics to one of the people in this thread and ask him to post the pics to PhotoBucket and provide the link in a post here so that we can all see them.

It will get the pics "up" quickly and you can sort out PhotoBucket later at your leisure.