Thread: new grizzly band saw.

Default new grizzly band saw.

after years of cutting everything with a porta band and about a year fighting with a pos carolina band saw. i have finally purchased what i consider to be a fairly good band saw for a decent price.

i have made about 300 cuts of that 2" solid and and a few cuts of other misc bars and have no complaints so far. i got it at the tent sale in pa. it was still in the crate but was missing the base and the controls. for now i have it wired direct to my vfd and control it from there. i purchased a couple starters and switches from e-bay two days ago and will wire it up proper when i get them in. it is a 3 phase 1.5hp unit. i think thats why people avoided it at the sale. every other band saw no matter how beat up sold fast for the asking price. this saw lists for $1700 they had it marked down to $1000. after the crowd died down and they started taking offers i got it for $400. add another $45 for electronics and i still don't think i did bad.

as a little more gloat

this is a g0559 5hp variable speed with two axis dro, x,y power feed and z rapid. its head is torn apart and a few parts are missing but the dro and power feeds work fine. after it sat most of the day i offered $250 and they took it.

and thats just two of the things i got. if you ever get a chance to go to the tent sale, do it.

You probably know this already, but you should not use your ebay starters in combination with the VFD. VFD's want to be wired directly to the motor without any switching in the electrical path.

thanks bruce i did know that but it never hurts to post helpful info just in case. never know who's vfd you might save.

Roy,

you lucky dirty DOG!!!! a few friends of mine have headed down to the Griz tent sale and when i asked about it they said you had to get there real early for the deals, and the prices were only 20% or so off the regular prices. well that will be the LAST time i listen to those jerks! they probably just didn't want me getting any deals. i think i will be heading to the next one.

andy b.