Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinder Project Complete

Default Grinder Project Complete

My brother is a grain farmer and asked me to make him a small hand powered grain grinder. He says he wants to test different types of grains for their ability to be ground. I didn't bother to ask any more as I figured he knew what he wanted. I took his specifications and below are pictures of the grinder I made.

I forgot to put a ruler in the picture for a scale but the large gear has a 4" diameter and the small gear has a 2.2" diameter so you should be able to get some idea of the size. The two gears drive the rollers at different speeds so there will be a shearing and rolling action of the grain and not a crushing action. The ratio of the speeds of the two rollers is 1.843 to 1. The two rollers are 3" in diameter and 6" long and mounted on sealed roller bearings. These rollers are placed so there is 0.045" clearance between them and have been knurled to give a better grip on the grain. The legs can be moved to a storage position so the grinder will take up less space when not in use.

This was my first attempt to make gears and it only took three gears to get two good ones. Not bad for the first attempt!

Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electrically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Hey, nice job on that! I've only made a few gears myself, but it is neat the first time you make a set that actually work.

Have you tried grinding grain in it yet? How's it work?

I really enjoy seeing the end results of all the machining going on around here, however simple or complex.

Thanks for posting that.
    -Al

Default Carefull

I still remember (This is True) when Grandma got one of her (massive) boobs caught in the wringer washer roller. This really happened ./ Tramatized me for many years the sight of a Massive pair of Hooters. Luckily when i turned 14 I got over it. Anyhow keep body parts out of that finely machined mACHINE NICE jOB.

Quote Originally Posted by madman
    I still remember (This is True) when Grandma got one of her (massive) boobs caught in the wringer washer roller. This really happened ./ Tramatized me for many years the sight of a Massive pair of Hooters. Luckily when i turned 14 I got over it. Anyhow keep body parts out of that finely machined mACHINE NICE jOB.
    ...UNHEAR THAT...UNHEAR THAT...UNHEAR THAT...

Nice job -- the gears look great!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Very nice work but just some observations..Wouldn't a grain cracker have the centre distances of the rollers adjustable for different size grains??

Also the rollers usually have longitudinal grooves cut in them to help feed the material through the roller..

Quote Originally Posted by websterz
    ...UNHEAR THAT...UNHEAR THAT...UNHEAR THAT...
    What has been seen cannot be unseen.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Nice work there. Did you use a dividing head to cut those?

Heck I thought some one had rebuilt a tool and cutter grinder are a surface grinder.

Default Options

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer
    Very nice work but just some observations..Wouldn't a grain cracker have the centre distances of the rollers adjustable for different size grains??

Also the rollers usually have longitudinal grooves cut in them to help feed the material through the roller..
    I asked my brother if he wanted the roller distance to be adjustable and he declined and he said that he wanted the rollers knurled. I just built it to specs.

I had considered adjustable roller distance but it would have complicated the build. That is why the side plate are so massive. Side plates were already fabricated when the adjustable feature was dropped.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electrically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.