Thread: Source for slitting saw blades?

Default Source for slitting saw blades?

I've been having trouble finding blades for my fingerboard slotting setup. I need 5" diameter, .023" kerf, 1" hole (preferably with key slot) and around 100 teeth (or fewer).
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ford
    I've been having trouble finding blades for my fingerboard slotting setup. I need 5" diameter, .023" kerf, 1" hole (preferably with key slot) and around 100 teeth (or fewer).
    Frank,
    Best I could find at MSC was this
    HSS Jeweler's Saws Diameter: 5 Thickness: 0.023 In. Arbor Hole Size: 1 Number of Teeth: 380 Material: HSS

Order Qty of 1 = 1 Piece

Qty:
    Price: $38.43 ea
    In stock: 52

This has too many teeth tho.

Steve

Try Thurstons. They have a wide variety of saw blades. http://www.thurstonmfg.com/

Second Thurston, made just over the line in Rhode Island.

Hi Frank, here is the cheapest source ($12!!) I have found for .023 slotting saws:

http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/6-780.html

Unfortunately they have many more teeth than you want, as do all stock slotting saws. I ran into this 40 yrs ago when I made banjos, and had my sharpening service take out every other tooth and reshape the remaining teeth, worked fine for me. Probably could be done in house with a home-made gizmo. You seem pretty good at that sort of stuff.

I'm sure you know about the Stew-Mac saws, but would prefer not to pay $75 (me too).

The other thought I had was to take a thicker (1/32 or 1/16) slitting saw, which have far fewer teeth, and somehow grind it to the correct thickness, maybe on an arbor in the lathe using a toolpost grinder. Might take so long as to make the Stew-Mac blade look reasonably priced.

Richard

Richard -

Thanks for the info - I'd bumped into those guys before, but unfortunately they don't have a .023 saw with 1" arbor.

Years ago (before StewMac and LMI) when I had no metalworking gear I ground regular 6" plywood cutting blades by running them in my table saw and hand holding a drill mounted stone against the side. Not into that kind of cowboy machining any more. Now that I am better equipped (and slightly wiser) I'll probably go the tool post grinder route. . .
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Frank, I just found this online, I need one too.

http://www.martindaleco.com/html/met...ws/sawsall.htm

No prices listed, but they have them in 1" arbor holes AND coarser teeth.

Do you use these ganged up on an arbor with spacers, or just one blade and index the cut?

R