Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Workbench Space

Default Workbench Space

Is it just me or does there never seem to be enough workbench space? This weekend I managed to scrounge a couple av carts and some steel shelving. For the first time in a long while I can actually work on my benches as of today, just tickled pink... No more heap of stuff. Would be interesting to see what some of you do for work space and how you manage it. Apparently I canít help myself, more space more stuff.
    Cheers, Bob

Default And most important

My new layout table.
    Cheers, Bob

HA!!! In 2 months you'll fill up that space and be back to square one. You've been in my shop so you know how it works. There is a not well known law of physics that states a HSM type is not allowed to have empty space for very long, The second unknown law is that space in your wallet is very common.

Pete

Okay, I have to ask...What's the story on the kiddie-sized mule??

Pete, do you suppose those two laws could be relative.........
    I built a 16' x 34" bench and it lasted about 3 months then turned into a heap. Interestingly enough though is that the heap seems to cycle itself as to what's on the top at any given time.
    One thing for sure tho is you always know where that __tool/thing__ you need is!! I am just recalling a recent visit from my son (he always thanks me for building "his" dream shop) and him asking "where's your drill index?" "It's on the bench" "Oh I see it, where's your... oh never mind I see it too"! LOL!

Sorry, workbench space does not compute.

I could have a work bench the size of a basketball court and have it cluttered in a week. Stuff and flat surfaces: I tend to inflict one on the other without regard for order or netness.

Oh, yeah. My bench is usually so cluttered I look for another surface for a quick job. I came up with this "solution." I use these "Slim Jim" Rubbermaid wastebaskets in the shop, so I made some 18-gauge covers for 'em. Plop one on the top, and I have a bit of work space:

When not in use, the "top" hangs on the inside of the container:

It makes a handy dustpan, too.

Unlike any other horizontal surface in my shop, this one is temporary, so I simply can't keep it jammed up with stuff.
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Frank, I just got a new puppy/soon to be shop dog, Maybe I can teach him to eat the metal chips and convert it to "bar stock"

(For the few guy's here with no sense of humor I'm joking)

Pete

I'm not going to show any pictures right now. Pete knows how it looks though. Suffice to say I like working on the floor after all those years with Xerox and never a workbench to use. I'm actually getting ahead a bit on the cleanup now that it's summer. I need room to work on winter projects.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here