Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poulan chainsaw fuel line?

Default Poulan chainsaw fuel line?

I spent the after noon helping brother-in-law clear some blown down trees in his back yard. His saw (Poulan) wouldn't hit a lick, had spark but wouldn't start. I cut most everything up for him with my saw and volunteered to fix his since he's mechanically challenged.

I brought it home and in the light of the shop immediately saw the problem. The fuel line had turned brittle and was broken into a 3 or 4 pieces so no fuel could get to the carb. This happened to my saw a few yrs. ago and I bought some replacement fuel line from a small engine repair shop. Is the clear stuff they sell at Home Cheapo a decent replacement? The stuff I bought from the shop looked very similar. I'd like to fix it tomorrow and be done with it rather than wait 'til Mon when the "real" shops are open.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

I wouldn't give a Pull-and pull-and pull-and saw to my worst enemy. POS.

No idea on the fuel line. Just because it looks the same doesn't mean it is.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Not sure about clear line. What lasts best is Tygon tubing -- and it's usually a pale yellow in color. Our local suppliers want a fortune for it. Cheaper on Ebay. McMaster has it cheap, but has a minimum 10' order.

Default Pouland chain saw

On one that I had the fuel line was a one piece affair with the primer bulb. The local chain saw crook wanted $35 for the fuel line. For work around the house I bought a 16 in. Makita electric and love it. It starts ever time I pull the trigger. If I remember to set the darn Anti kickback.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Vinyl tube ain't vinyl tube ain't vinyl tube.

The stuff used for fuel will last in that service while the stuff you get off the spool at the hardware store for water and such won't last very long in fuel. Big difference in chemistry between the two!

What I like to use is the silicone fuel tubing the gas model airplane guys use. It never dies!

Pete

tygon is the stuff, its yellow and sold in hobby shops

Another vote for the hobby shop fuel line. Cheap and lasts.

Ace Hardware carries the yellow, fuel compatible fuel line in their parts department (down here in Florida)
    The normal clear plastic (vinyl ? ) tubing gets too stiff & brittle when used with gasoline.

Forgot all about Tygon, thanks. That ought'a last longer than the rest of the saw. My favorite hobby shop carries it and I think it opens at noon on Sundays.

Pete, I have a bunch of the Sullivan silicone model airplane tubing but I was always told it would soften & swell when immersed in gasoline. So it worked OK for you?

Tell us what you really think Evan. I know Poulan is close to the bottom of the chainsaw ladder but I've had great service from my 1990 16" Sears Craftsman (Poulan) saw. It's exactly like B.I.L.'s saw other than the color. I had to replace the fuel line in mine as well but it's always started 3rd or 4th pull even after sitting in the shed for a couple years. Mind you, I've always used 16:1 petroleum based oil and set the fuel mixture rich enough that it won't break into a 2-stroke unless I'm bearing down on it a bit. Smoky, yes and cuts slower than my neighbor's screaming banshee but even a cheap saw will last a long time set that way.

Before heading out yesterday to help B.I.L., I sharpened my chains using my boss's Italian made Oregon sharpener. What a nifty piece of kit that is! Every angle easily adjustable and dead easy to use. Once I got it set up, I breezed through 2 chains in about 20 min. with every tooth ending up SHARP and consistent. I'd forgotten what a difference a sharp chain makes.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

All the local small engine/mower shops carry it on a roll and sell it by the foot.IIRC there is only one size which is 5mm id.
    I just need one more tool,just one!