Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Engine Repair And The Home Shop.

Default Small Engine Repair And The Home Shop.

Neighbor is out mowing his lawn, once in awhile he runs his tractor through my yard and mows my lawn... in exchange I run my snowblower across his driveway to break up the plow-bank during the winter.

I'm listening to the mower run here this afternoon while playing with my mill-lathe-drill... Trying to figure out if I can face-mill stuff with it or if it's "beyond" the ability of the machine I think I got it figured out for the most part. More on that later.

Mower is making that laaaaaaaaaaaaaawn moooooooowweeeeerrr sound then all of a sudden BANG *HOAKR* BANG BANG *sputter* DIE *silence*

I run outside and see the neighbor waving huge clouds of smoke away, and I grab the CO2 thing assuming the worst. By the time I got over the smoke was clear and he's got the hood up.

Long story short, this model has a plastic fuel pump that consists of a couple of diaphragms, springs and a pressed in check valve thingy. Over time the plastic body cracked in such a way that the engine flooded though the "suction drive" port, resulting in a spectacular engine shutdown.

I help him get the thing into the garage, he starts draining the oil out and I'm looking at the pump... he's draining the oil out I'm looking at the pump. I put the pump down to help him with the heavy oil pan, then I pick up the pump again... and it happens: "Teh Machinist" kicks in. "I can make this."

Hour later I present him with an aluminum version of the faulty part, sans crack. Reassembled the pump with the original springs diaphragms and valve.

Engine is up and running again making that wonderful lawnmower sound. Just for giggles I looked up the cost of a replacement part at the local Engine Shop, $55 dollars plus labor... and that just gets you another plastic bauble.

I bet if I put my mind to it I could duplicate the rest of the pump out of aluminum (not just the damaged part) and it would outlast the rest of the tractor.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Right On LZ, what having your shop is all about, besides all the fun stuff. Now if we could just get the other half to understand the principle and the benefits. We would be all set!

Cheers, Bob

My "other half" used to be a machinist before finishing her degree. Heck I wouldn't be able to manufacture those filters for my friend in quantity without her help, she's quite good with the lathe.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Some people have all the luck. I'm sure you were not implying a gloat of any kind....

Cheers, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Quetico Bob
    Some people have all the luck. I'm sure you were not implying a gloat of any kind....

Cheers, Bob

Machining skills, quotes Star Trek and Star Wars without prompting, "forces" me to go see sci-fi movies with explosions and mile-wide plot-holes and fully understands why I need three lathes not just one or two. We're still working on the bench-grinder thing... as in "what, another one?!"

No sir not gloating at all.

Some people have no scruples! And your one of them.

Cheers, Bob

Soon you'll get real crazy like me and start picking them up off the side of the road, fix them and put them on Craigslist.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Liger Zero
    Hour later I present him with an aluminum version of the faulty part, sans crack. Reassembled the pump with the original springs diaphragms and valve.

Engine is up and running again making that wonderful lawnmower sound. Just for giggles I looked up the cost of a replacement part at the local Engine Shop, $55 dollars plus labor... and that just gets you another plastic bauble.

Before you get too excited, you're local engine shop is making a killing:
    http://out2win.com/catalog/fuelpump.html
    http://www.jackssmallengines.com/fuel_kpump.cfm

It is neat when you can pull this stuff off though. I can't count how many reduced shank drill bits and quickie welding jobs I did for one neighbor.

One trick when buying machine tools, either buy them or paint them the same colour.

You need greys or greens because women only see shades of different colours never the same colour.

"Is that new ?"

"No dear it was over in that corner and I have moved it"

"Why do you need three lathes "

"That ones does English threads, that one does metric and that one does American threads "

"So is that why you have three mills as well? "

"No dear that's because that one does rotary 4th axis work, that one does flat work and that one has a tilting head for angular work"

"So which one of the mills does metric ?"

"Now that's the problem I really need a metric mill but it means making more room, how would you organise the shop to make room for another mill ?

Once the organisation has been done how can she refuse a new mill, it was her idea after all ?

Last edited by John Stevenson; 07-07-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

So where is the picture of the thong?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here