Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keller diefiler run without oil, now it makes bad noises

Default keller diefiler run without oil, now it makes bad noises

I just bought a keller die filer at a College surplus auction. When it ran, it made a clunking sound, so I looked inside and found that there was no oil in it. Further disassembly showed that the pinion on the crank assy is galled and the yoke bearing block (kinda like a connecting rod) is worn to a loose fit. Can't call Keller til Monday so I thought that I might ask some of you who have rebuilt one of these how it went.

How did you fix the leaks? Is the pinion available without the crankshaft or must I buy the whole thing? The upper bearings are worn from pushing laterally too hard and long on the file without oil.

The search of previous posts helped me quite a bit. What little oil was left in the bottom of the crankcase was red. Would they have used ATF? Are the upper bearings splash lubricated? If so the oil will have to be light enough to splash--30W or lighter?

Does anyone know how the air blower works? Mine doesn't. Thanks--Mike.

Don't know about parts, but perhaps can help with the blower. It should have a plastic donut of a piston thingy on the recip shaft. That piston is a sliding fit in the over-sized (for the recip shaft) hole in the main casting. As it goes up and down, that plastic piston compresses the air in that well, forcing it out the side and along the tube to blow away filings.

Edit: wow, I should proof read more. Looked like a copy/paste/edit misfire...
    Last edited by BadDog; 07-18-2009 at 02:32 AM.
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

They are still being made and they still sell parts for them. I thought the parts prices were pretty good.

http://www.kellersaws.com/diefiler.html

Last edited by crrmeyer; 07-18-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Does anyone know if this same information is available for a Butterfly die filer?

There is a block of brass that slides in the yoke that raises and lowers the file holder and the pinion hole in that block and the pinion have a sloppy fit. I wonder if I could surface the pinion and bore the block oversize for an oilite bearing.

Are there any web references to parts prices? Otherwise I'll have to wait for Monday.

Of course, having some oil in it might make it run a little quieter! Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by mikem
    How did you fix the leaks? Is the pinion available without the crankshaft or must I buy the whole thing? The upper bearings are worn from pushing laterally too hard and long on the file without oil.

The search of previous posts helped me quite a bit. What little oil was left in the bottom of the crankcase was red. Would they have used ATF? Are the upper bearings splash lubricated? If so the oil will have to be light enough to splash--30W or lighter?

Does anyone know how the air blower works? Mine doesn't. Thanks--Mike.
    Lets see... if memory serves there is a shaft seal (15) that fits after the two bearings (1/2 of 21) for the crank shaft (6). You can go to the automotive supply store are get a tube of form-a-gasket for sealing the body cover (5). If memory serves it uses 30W non-detergent motor oil (also available from your local automotive supply store).

I owned one for a while and replaced all the internal parts. The only quirk was the replacement parts were not completely interchangable due to tollerances (probably of the main casting). I ended up using the original yoke bearing block (22) with the new parts and it worked fine. Keller took the unused parts back for refund.

Good luck!

Mine leaked between the base plate and the main casting. RTV silicone fixed it very well.

Do they all clunk slightly when the file changes directions or is that because of mine being worn?

mine does not "clunk", it was in very nice shape when I got it.

That's what I was afraid of--excessive wear must be the cause. Thanks