Thread: Cole Drill revisited

Hybrid View

Default Cole Drill revisited

Every so often I come across references to this tool. For the sort of work I do it would make a lot of sense. However the chances of me running across such a thing in the UK are miniscule so given the simple nature of the thing I've decided to have a bash at making my own. I think I've gathered most of the information I need from looking at photos but I'd like to sense check a few things with those who may have used the real thing.

What I'd like to know:-

How long is the hollow bolt that the drill spindle runs thru?

Is there a thrust bearing used? And if so where is it, top or bottom of
    the hollow bolt?

So far I am planning to use a M16x1.5mm bolt drilled to take the spindle and an off the shelf thrust bearing at the bottom of the bolt running against a flange on the drill spindle.

For the ratchet drive best I can come up with at the moment is to use a 1/2" drive ratchet from a socket set which kind of leads to the logic of turning the drill spindle from an extension bar from a 1/2" set.

If I can find some cast iron chunks I could use this for the body of the drill head and base but failing that there should be no problem using cut offs of mild steel, say 3"X2" ?

Once again all information, ideas and suggestions gratefully received. If I get started with this I promise to take photos!

Thanks

Alan

The hollow bolt is about two inches long. The spindle is stepped, with a smaller diameter through the hollow bolt, and the thrust bearing goes between the bottom of the hollow bolt and the wider portion of the spindle. I am guessing that this would be stronger than a flange. It's a simple ball thrust bearing similar to those found in scissor jacks and the like.

If you need, I can take pictures and get proper dimensions later.

Here's a quick shot of the spindle and screw assembly. The spindle below the bearing is 1 inch diameter, and about 1/2 inch where it goes through the screw.

The ratchet is a simple spring-loaded plunger in the handle. One way only, no reverse. The ratchet wheel is threaded to the top of the spindle with a little shoulder, so when you turn the handle it simply tightens down on the shoulder.[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks Bruto, that's brilliant. Exactly the information I required. Very kind of you to take the trouble to do that.

On a different tack, Vermont is one of the few states I've visited. My brother-in-law had a scholarship at Harvard back in the late eighties. My wife and I paid a brief visit one February which co-incided with one of the heaviest snowfalls that area had seen for a long time. Nevertheless we managed to get about OK and Vermont we decided was our favourite as it was most like home.

Thanks for your help once again.

Alan

I purchased one from the US through Ebay, shipping was over $100 but it was
    well worth it they are a great tool.
    Previous to this purchase I intended to make one and have good diagrams
    with measurments etc.
    If you would like copies of these send your postal address via a personal message and I will mail them to you.

RW, that is very kind of you. My address is on it's way.
    Thank you

Alan