Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Measuring spline shaft

I havenít given up on this thread. I pinched a nerve in my lower back and just now feeling like sitting in front of the computer. Theirs nothing like the feeling of a red hot railroad spike stuck in my back just above my right hip. I did get a hold of the female spline wasnít some one asking for this? I havenít made it by the machinist yet and got a call in to Garrett. Oldtiffie did you want me to masher the spline like you illustrated. If so how many teeth do I skip?

Default Measuring Gear/Spline teeth.

Back in post 18 & 29 I gave M.O.W. dims & 4 tooth span measure & said I did not calculate just took them from CADD. I used 0.0750" Circular tooth thickness by the way; .0035" thin!

So The span thingy, MHB & others list criptic contants, I for one like to know from where they come, there is no column for 30į spans so here are the raw equations that have made gears/splines from way before I started COGGING.
    This works for any PA, DP. I ran 4 tooth span; the calcs recomend 5 teeth, both caculate to .0003" what I gave.

Span Calcs. (Sorry it dosn't match you OT).

The infeed thingy, again different. VanKeuren constants & my long versions.

For the curious, Across 4 I get 0.5289" & across 5 I get 0.6650".

Cheers,
    Les H.
    The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Default Pretty close!!

Quote Originally Posted by LES A W HARRIS

I ran 4 tooth span; the calcs recomend 5 teeth, both caculate to .0003" what I gave.

Span Calcs. (Sorry it dosn't match you OT).

.................................................. ...............

For the curious, Across 4 I get 0.5289" & across 5 I get 0.6650".

Cheers,
    Many thanks Les, as I was sure happy to see that result of yours.

Yep, I sure buggered that up.

I got 0.6667" which is (0.6667 - 0.6650 = 0.0017") over.

My error was ((0.6667 - 0.6650)/0.6667) x 100 = 0.225% error about 1 in 400.

But seriously though, I'm satisfied with that as I did it from first principles - without a computer - just a hand-held calculator - disregarding gear formulae (which I don't have) and assumed a pure involute. I saw that the 30* PA just happened to span 5 teeth and that the "straight" sides of the 60* would be tangent to lines at the "5-gear" span so that my "involutes" matched the now vertical sides.

Mine was a mathematical exercise in what was just above Basic Shop Math 101 (sort of).

It was just pure luck that the tangent points of the involute and the 60* cutter profile were co-incident there. It would not have worked unless that "happy event" happened.

I knew too that there were no tables in MHB for it either.

I also wanted to give the OP something to go on if he used the "straight-sided" 60* cutter.

I don't think I did all that badly at all.

It was certainly accurate enough for the OP to use his 60* cutter and to "fit" the male he was making into the female he had to fit it to. It may not have been an involute curve but it would have been a pretty good match at the pitch lines/points though.

Many thanks for "pitching in" as it was a huge help. As soon as I saw your pics I knew I was going to be pretty close. I didn't see or seem to get much useful help from some others.

Default Measuring females

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy13
    I havenít given up on this thread. I pinched a nerve in my lower back and just now feeling like sitting in front of the computer. Theirs nothing like the feeling of a red hot railroad spike stuck in my back just above my right hip. I did get a hold of the female spline wasnít some one asking for this? I havenít made it by the machinist yet and got a call in to Garrett. Oldtiffie did you want me to masher the spline like you illustrated. If so how many teeth do I skip?
    Jeremy.

I seem to have got pretty close, but I haven't heard from Les Harris yet, so the advice I give you here is pending his reply.

In a perfect world, and with your female spline being EITHER a "flat 60*" (my approach) or an involute (Les H's approach) I'd suggest measuring across 5 splines and see if you get or are close to Les's figure (0.6650") or mine (0.6667") and let me know. It will be difficult to measure. I suggest using a good small "sensitive" pair of internal spring calipers with "fine" points. Your machinist friend will assist you.

My eye-brows shot up when you said that your machinist friend was ex-submarines. I too am ex-Navy (OZ) and was an Ordnance Artificer. I wanted to transfer from "General Service" to "Submarines" when we got (were getting) our new Brit submarines in the 50's and 60's. I was dead right for it - no problems - as they wanted me too - but I was already a Chief OA and they wanted to recruit OA's that were not Chief so that they could promote all their Chiefs from within the submarine branch. I was not prepared to "go back" to just an OA - so it all came to a halt.

After I left the uniform side of Navy and went to work for them as a civilian, one of my jobs was to be the instructor for "Mechanical Drawing" for Engine Room Artificers (ERA's) - including submariners - who were doing the Chief ERA qualifying course. Those submariners really stood out among the crowd as regards creative thinking and application. They drank like bloody fishes but were very good company as well - and great ship-mates!!

Default I need some help with a spline

Hi guys,
    I have a Nichols miller and the vertical adapter but I can't find the CAT40 adapter that drives it. I did some experimenting in making a female spline with less than satisfactory results. My lathe is just not able to do it. I tried to read about splines in the Machinerys Handbook and I have to tell you. I have a bachelor's and master's degree in electrical engineering and if you are able to understand that level of spline technology then I have a huge amount of respect for your intellect. I was totally lost with the 30 and 37.5 degree pressure angles. I thought I could spec the spline and have a good shop hob them out and I could make the CAT40 end. But I have absolutely no clue as to how to measure and spec a spline. I need some suggestions. I hope the picture come out.
    Thanks,
    Russell[IMG] By radarguy2 at 2010-06-10[/IMG]

Short answer for splines is to treat them like a gear.
    same formulae apply except finding the DP from the OD.
    In this case you add one, not two to the number of teeth and divide by the OD.

That will give you the smaller number of the DP, the larger number is double that like 16/32 DP.

Most splines are 30 degrees, automotive favour the 37.5 and the Japanese.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Default Just maybe

Quote Originally Posted by radarguy
    Hi guys,
    I have a Nichols miller and the vertical adapter but I can't find the CAT40 adapter that drives it. I did some experimenting in making a female spline with less than satisfactory results. My lathe is just not able to do it. I tried to read about splines in the Machinerys Handbook and I have to tell you. I have a bachelor's and master's degree in electrical engineering and if you are able to understand that level of spline technology then I have a huge amount of respect for your intellect. I was totally lost with the 30 and 37.5 degree pressure angles. I thought I could spec the spline and have a good shop hob them out and I could make the CAT40 end. But I have absolutely no clue as to how to measure and spec a spline. I need some suggestions. I hope the picture come out.
    Thanks,
    Russell[IMG] By radarguy2 at 2010-06-10[/IMG]
    Radarguy.

Do you have any female splines that will "mate" with that male spline stub? I know its a long shot but ...........................

If you have, please scan it at the highest resolution you can and post it here. All I want it two or three teeth as well as the centre hole in the image plus I'd need the bore size (as near as you can get) and the inside diameter of/at the full depth of the spline.

Failing that, and using the male/shaft in your pic, please take a pic with a good digital camera aligned parallel to the shaft axis and dead in line/over the outside diameter of the the centre plain part (spigot) with the focus on the end of the spline "teeth" and at as high a resolution as you can get it. I will need the outside diameter of the spigot, the outside diameter of the spline and the root diameter of the spline - all as near as you can get them plus the number of teeth on the male spline.

I may be able to get there using a process of elimination and reference to Machinery's Handbook.

I'd like to give it a go anyway.

Default Doc's Nichol (sp?) horizontal mill

Radarguy.

If I recall correctly, Doc Nickel - a member here (Alaska) has a Nichol (Sp???) - old - horizontal mill that he restored - beautifully.

He may be able to assist and if he can I am pretty sure that he will.

You can "Private Message" (aka PM) from here:

Here are Doc's details:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/member.php?u=1856

I can PM Doc for you if necessary.

I wanted to thank all of you for the help with my project. We ended up using the flat 60* cuter. The female sample I had was new and we had an old turbine it had some wear. We over sized the mail shaft 5thou and filed back to a nice fit. Hear is a video of it's first run. The track was soft and we couldn't get the tires to break loose. The turbine is at the 1:20 min mark. Thanks Agene!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgmFZD34SfI

Default Thanks

Thanks for that Jeremey, as I had been wondering how that job turned out.

Nicely done.