Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home sandblasting

Default Home sandblasting

Anyone do any home snadblasting??

I have a 60CFM compressor and have a need for a small sandblaster for sandblasting small items say up to 3 feet cubed or so...

Anyone have any ideas on what is best??? Dust and noise is not an issue where I live (1500 acre house yard)

Yes,I've done a lot of it.60cfm means you can run probably a 5/16 or 3/8" nozzle.

Screen your sand,dry sand is a must,the least little bit of moisture and it clumps and clogs the works.

The most important thing is breathing air.A good hood,with a clean safe air supply is a must.

Here is an example of a compressed airline breathing air filter/regulator from Clemco,they also provide enough air to use a venturi cooler under the hood,nice in hot weather.

http://www.clemcoindustries.com/prod...?item_id=03578

Clemco also makes pressure pots and other accesories.-

http://www.clemcoindustries.com/products.html

I prefer a pressure pot,but a well made syphon/gravity feed system works well so long as you have dry,consistent sand.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Ringer,

I have used a Craftsman home sandblaster for a number of small projects. I like glass beads myself, since they give a smoother finish than sand. There is also plastic media that some people like to use.

Default Blast away!!

Nice blaster Ringer.

I was going to suggest garnet as it is long-lasting and is pretty well insisted upon by the Regulators (EPA, WorkSafe etc.). Sand as used previously was totally banned. It was pretty closely watched by the authorities and the Unions as sand residue - particularly air-borne can be pretty dangerous. Same for some of the paints and thinners etc. Garnet seemed to solve all the problems. If I recall correctly, the garnet came from India.

We did the design and set-out the services and buildings for a quite sizeable industrial sand-blasting and spray-painting enterprise some years ago. All in accordance with all Codes and the Building Code of Australia (BCA). It had an entire chapter devoted to it in the Planning Scheme.

I'd make damn sure that it was not up-wind of anything sensitive like the house, out-buildings, machine shops etc.

Protective clothing - including a separate fresh air supply to the hood and helmet is an absolute must and as heavy and hot as hell. Protective boots, gaiters/spats and apron/coat are a must as well.

Ringer,
    Have the same unit, OK for odd job, doubt I'd use sand though. Garnet seemed best, but I had the problem with stuff compacting in bottom of tank since its pressurised and you either get a good flow or none at all. A quick in the guts and off again. Pretty much a total loss system if using outside on machinery. My 18 cfm Peerless compressor flat out to keep up. Ceramic tips wear rather quickly, forget size now but about every 10 bags of the garnet need to change. No matter what you wear stuff still goes everywhere (some unmentionable) so as OT says good breathing gear, I used a good multi element respirator and hood. Hand-piece shut off (flow regulation) is simply a flap over the outlet, not the best but acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer
    Those are good units,but the ceramic nozzles and sand hose last like a snowball in hell.

If it were me I would make/buy a decent work end that accepts a carbide nozzle.Probably somebody in Australia sells similar,unless things don't rust there

http://www.clemcoindustries.com/prod...?item_id=23522

The hose adapter is nothing but a NPT to 1-1/4" straight thread adapter to screw into a ball valve at the end of the hose.

Sand hose can be bought at nearly any industrial hose supply house.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Try: http://www.tptools.com/Default.aspx If you're blasting outdoors and not reclaiming and filtering most of your abrasive, Black Beauty or a substitute is a good choice.

I ordered one of the 20 gallon units today...It should do all I want it to do...I won't be blasting D11 dozers or anything like that...

After the blaster arrives, you'll need to adjust the flow of the material with the air volume and pressure. While I have a 160cfm compressor, I probably use only about 30-35cfm with a 300lb media tank. It makes a huge difference in stripping time and the amount of material used. Too much of one or the other works against you. The way most of these pressure tanks work is you adjust the flow of air into the tank for media flow. Others will have a fixed air flow but have a media valve on the bottom that allows you to vary flow. Which ever yours has, learn how to use it and stripping becomes less of a chore.

I get a sandblasting sand that's already pre-screened in 100lb bags for about $7. Prices will vary depending on how far your dealer is from the plant.