Thread: ThermalArc 185 Slight problem

Default ThermalArc 185 Slight problem

I have had a ThermalArc 185 for about 4 or 5 years now. Super great machine for what I do. Anyhow, just lately it has this weird problem. Say you set the amps to 100. The I get a weld going, and then stop. The machine now reset the amps to the maximum value that I pushed the pedal down to during the last weld. So say I pushed with the pedal to 80 amps, when I am done with the bead, the machine setting now reads that 80 amps, and not the 100 that I origionally set it at. At this point if I reset the amps back to 100 and weld again, it stays there at 100, as it should. Only the first time setting the amps and welding, does it reset itself to whatever I pushed on the pedal. It never used to do this. I am wondering if I should tell this to a service guy or if perhaps I have the settings messed up and that is causing this. Anyone with this machine experience this?

--Doozer

I think it is just showing you the current you were welding at. It should revert to the other display after a while or when you go to set the current.

Above answer:That's the way mine works too...

All these new welders are ran by a computer/cpu. No clue.. might be a glitch if it needs manual resetting to the original WOT amount. Some Inverter (motor drives) stick on the amperage or ?? not the one the customer wants to see.. And.. in chinglish you have to discover the "normal" display to show.

That being said, I was having trouble tig welding some thin stainless. Told one guy I suspected it was the metal.

The way I was doing.. start the arc, depress pedal enough to get molten puddle, back off. tig weld.. Run a puddle along and it'd seem to like combust and fall out. flash? I was getting good welds you could not break... or holes..

The way the guy in Illinois who could actually weld the Stainless? depress pedal, hold tiny arc not disturbing needle point on tungsten.. wait for the arc.. then travel with it at 3-7 amps.. same machine.. different welder..

Seems simple don't it? well I learned to weld with a buzz box with no pedal, you stuff the rod and go to cool the puddle. Wide open welding like a pipe welder.. HURRY, time is money welding..

My point: simple problem that was not a problem I could see.. Couldn't see the forest for all them darned trees in the way.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Ok, I did a little more investigating. The welder was set at 100 amps from a previous job. I wanted to weld something thin, so I set it to 20 amps. I pushed the pedal and started welding, and just tipping into the pedal, the amps seemed kinda high. I stopped, looked at the display. It said 15 amps, which is what I pushed on the pedal. Then the display waits a few seconds. and reverts to showing the set amperage, thus displaying 100 amps.
    Now I AGAIN turn the amps down from 100 amps to 20 amps. Then try a weld. Now it stays at 20 amps. The pedal range is now 0 to 20, whereas before it was 0 to 100, because it reset itself.
    So yes, I am sure the amps are resetting to the previous selection. But this happens only once. If I reset the amps, try a weld, they revert back. Reset them again, and the amps stay where I put them.
    Should this welder not accept my amp setting the first time? It never used to do this. I realize that after welding, the display shows the peak amps you used during the weld, but then it reverts back to the amps setting that was dialed in. My welder does not like to accept a new amp setting the first time around. Weld a little. set the amps again to the setting I want, and it takes it, and stays there.
    It is annoying, but I could live with it. Was just wondering if anyone elses ThermalArc does this.

--Doozer

Your not somehow setting a sequence mode are you?

Yes Macona,
    I was in pulse sequencer mode. Stupid membrane keypad interface devices! Give me toggle switches any day.
    Yes I never played with sequencer mode, and somehow I set it on. I was setting low heat and high heat or some such thing.
    Turned it off.
    I will probably never use it or???
    Thanks a million.

--Doozer