Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT found Altas 7B shaper for sale

Default OT found Altas 7B shaper for sale

I don't have room of a shaper, but one of you on the west coast might have a need and a spot for a Atlas Shaper. There is a Atlas 7B shaper on Craig's List for sale.
    http://corvallis.craigslist.org/tls/1350741647.html
    I have no connection with it, I just thought someone might like to look.
    Mel

Did you see the reason he is selling it and taking a loss? It's the same reason I sold mine, once you start using it you realize how useless those small shapers really are. When you get up into the 12" and larger size you have a machine that will cut steel with little effort, my 7" would just stall when making a cut in steel that I would consider a reasonable depth for that machine. My 16" will take a 3/8" DOC with no problem. For what he is asking you can probably find a nice larger shaper and still have money in your pocket for tooling.
    Mark Hockett

I would agree and disagree with the idea that the smaller shapers are useless. Yes, they cant take a big depth of cut but they can cut. It does indeed take more time on a smaller shaper to do anything but many things can still be done.

I guess that my advise on such a machine would be, if you cant find anything bigger, closer, less expensive, easier to move and time is on your side then go get it. A collector of small machines might well buy it.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

gregl Guest

I think small shapers do have a use. It just depends on what you want to do. I used mine to machine the surfaces of my live steamer cylinder blocks for the slide valves and got a much nicer finish than I would have in my vertical mill. Also, I was able to cut a large radius on a part by bopping the head over with my fist after each stroke. Here's a photo:

The part is the smokebox saddle. I was cutting the radius that you can see on the top of the casting. The "bonk" method involves hitting the screw on the C-clamp at the end of each stroke to move the cutting head. Obviously, the part must be carefully placed so the radius is cut right. Worked just fine!

Yes, I'd like a larger shaper, but there is a limit to my shop size, and larger machines are impossible to find around here.

Two observations. First, IMHO he's asking on the high side, and clearly paid too much himself. He may have had too high an expectation of the machine to begin with. Second, all machinery performs within its capabilities, based on size and construction. Sure, my 7B takes "only" a 1/8" cut in steel, and a 16" will do 3/8", and that's nearly in direct proportion to their sizes. My shop is filled with small machines, I work on small parts and have a need to be able to move the machines myself when needed. Most of my parts would look pretty silly in the vise of a 16" shaper, and I very rarely find myself wishing I had something bigger. Same for the mill and lathe. When I do, I have friends that have large shops that let me use their machinery. Happens maybe once or twice a year. But for those that work on larger parts, the 7B would be the poorer choice. Everything in proportion.

Joe
    "I am not academically qualified. I am what I call QBE - thatís my degree - Qualified By Experience."

Rupert Neve, Audio Technology Magazine Issue 1, March 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Optics Curmudgeon
    Two observations. First, IMHO he's asking on the high side, and clearly paid too much himself.
    Joe
    I paid $850 for mine and would do it again in a blink - they're not all the common in the Pacific North Wet so finding one in excellent condition is a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockett
    , once you start using it you realize how useless those small shapers really are. When you get up into the 12" and larger size you have a machine that will cut steel with little effort, my .
    you could say the same about any machine tool, bigger is better.....but they are far from useless and do a great job cutting steel. It's the same reason someone buys a myford rather than a DSG, it'll fit down the basement stairs and go into a smaller sized workshop. Me, I'd like the DSG and would cram it in the garage somehow, but that doesn't make a myford useless.

i sold my 16" shaper because small parts dont work well on the large machine and it took up tons of room. My 7" Atlas works well for me.

I have not yet found my shaper to be too small and it is a little Adept Nr 2 (powered version), if needs be I can even put my arms around it and carry it across the shop!

It is a cute little shaper..
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 09-01-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Can't give the damn things away over here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alba-1A-Shaper...mZ120462649373

In the last 5 years I have scrapped two 14" shapers, one in decent condition and one that literally had only done 8 hours work from new.

Tried all over to sell them or even give them away, but no takers.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.