Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to use 5c collet block set ?

Question How to use 5c collet block set ?

What is one suppose to do with these 5c collet block sets which are readily found on ebay ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/5C-COLLET-BLOCK-...d=p3286.c0.m14

rustamd Guest

you can use them in vise, mill 6 flats for example, on grinder, etc

heres picture taken from frets.com, Frank Ford milling 6 flats for one of his projects:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Pr...uilllock20.jpg

Default 5C collet blocks

They're very useful for machining a square or hex on round stock. Clamp in the milling machine vice and turn 4/6 times machining to the correct depth. You can also transfer them directly to the lathe 3 or 4 jaw chuck if needed. One of the more useful accessories I've bought !

Or, vertically, here.

-Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

They are very useful in a milling attachment for the lathe.

Also the hex one, fits nicely in a 3 jaw chuck for small stuff, and the square block can be clamped in a 4 jaw.

you can use them to hold a fixture so that you can just flip the part around in the vice to get mirrored surfaces.

Ignorance is curable through education.

We have larger lathes at the shop, and these are great for small diameter material like 1/2" and under. Like said above, they are great to use on the mill as well.
    Paul in OKC
    PHDesigns

I've tried using an import brand in a mill, less than positive experience. Cant seem to get them tight enough to keep the material from moving. Am I doing something wrong?

Default Good Question--Good Replies

Rusty's signature line that says, "Ignorance is curable through education"
    is appropiate. I use these in the mill all the time. I had never thought about using them in the chuck on the lathe. I really hate to take the chuck off to switch to collets for small work holding. It had just never occurred to me to use them this way. Thanks All!
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunter
    I've tried using an import brand in a mill, less than positive experience. Cant seem to get them tight enough to keep the material from moving. Am I doing something wrong?
    The collet set comes with the cam-over lock, and a threaded tightening ring for each block.

I didn’t have much luck with the cam-over lock. The tightening rings can be used with a spanner wrench. I started to buy a spanner wrench, and found it cost almost as much as the collet block set. So being the cheap guy that I am, I took an old pair of channel lock pliers and drilled down through the top and made a pin for the hole. This turned the channel lock pliers into an adjustable spanner wrench.

I use a vice and the channel locks to put some real pressure on the collet tightening ring.
    Last edited by Ron of Va; 09-09-2009 at 04:24 PM.