Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clear Coating Brass ?

Post Clear Coating Brass ?

What is the best product that you have found for clear coating polished brass? I have tried various lacqueres, polyurathanes, with limited long term success. Have looked at the Brownells clear epoxy but haven't tried it yet. Any success stories or suggestions out there?

Krylon clear acrylic works well. None of them last forever and when they flake off then it starts to look crummy.

[Edit]

I recently used a clear coat from Krylon designed for coating outside metal furniture. I used it to coat the tiles and grout in my shower. That was about six months ago and it shows no sign of deterioration yet. I judge that by the fact that I can't see it and no apparent flaking is happening. The grout is staying iron free as well.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-24-2003).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

How about a slow cure two part epoxy. With proper surface prep I bet it would be very durable.

Cecil:

A couple of cases where brass needs to be coated for lasting protection:

Military gear and insignia
    Brass musical instruments

A web search of these two topics might turn up the coating type.

In my youth, while attempting to remove the protective coating from Army brass insignia, I was told that the coating was spar varnish, dunno if this is true.

Almost the first thing we did in basic training was polish the clear coat off the brass belt buckles. Coated brass just doesn't look as shiny as well polished brass.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Evan: I agree with you that polished 360 Brass looks much better that coated. And, yes when I was in the Army way back in the 60's we polished brass on a regular basis when in the U.S. However, this is for my 1/3 scale model Gatling Gun and it takes me 8 hours to disassemble, polish the brass, oil the wood, and reassemble. I was just looking for a better way.

I know the feeling. The brass on my double arm drive is in need of polishing. It takes at least that long to disassemble, rebuild and calibrate.

Also, my wife collects brass plates. She polishes them chemically. So far I have resisted the urge to really polish one. If I do all will be lost. "You know, those plates sure could use polishing..." "Huh? Did you say something, Dear?"

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-24-2003).]

I used some Meguires gold coat car wax on a "sampler" candlestick i made about one and 1/2 years back, still looks good. However, maybe this is because I know there is a coating, but the actual brass surface untreated looks the best.

CCBW, MAH

1) Apply a gold leaf.
    2) Diamond coating (the best).
    3) Hire someone to polish it regularly. If you live in California you can probably get a polisher with a driver's license, too.

[This message has been edited by debequem (edited 09-24-2003).]

Hey Cecil,
    I just happen to have a 1/8 scale gatling gun that is brass, stainless and walnut. I have been building miniatures for over 30 years now and I learned long ago not to spray polished brass. Reason, when it does start to fade or tarnish you have to strip all of the finish off just to get it back to where you want, and if you only do one or two parts they won't match the rest so you end up doing them all anyway. I have a great many steam, gas and assorted miniatures that are either all brass or have a lot of brass on them and when it comes time to exhibit them I just dedicate several weeks before the show to polishing. If you do want to spray your brass I have had good luck with Krylon spray clear. One important thing, if you use a product like Brasso it not only polishes but it leaves a film on the brass so you should wipe the part with mineral spirits before spraying, otherwise you could get whats called a fisheye where the coating is repelled from the polish. I hope this helps.