Thread: Tell me about your 11 x 26 lathe Grizzly G9972Z

Default Tell me about your 11 x 26 lathe Grizzly G9972Z

I am thinking about purchasing an 11 x 26 lathe from Grizzly or Wholesale Tool. I am concerned and curious about the problems with the motor stalling or stopping while cutting, knurling or drilling. Is the 11 x 26 a major improvement over my 7 x 14? Looks like it would be.

1)What depth of cut is normal for a 3" diameter piece of cold rolled steel (1018) using power feed over a distance of several inches? I am asking how far you advance the tool in thousandths per pass.
    2)Tell me about the knurling capabilities of the 11 x 26
    3)What is the largest diameter hole you have drilled with the 11 x 26.

Thanks,
    Gary

get the 12x36 if you want a SERIOUS lathe. I can bust 0.1" DOC and moderate feed rates (0.01" per revolution) in cold rolled steel with carbide insert tooling. (At those feed rates, 1/4" chunks of hot blue steel chips go flying everywhere, burning any flesh they touch... usally right at the feed disengage handles)

Generaly you want a sissor knurling tool and then you can do much better knurls with 1/10th the stress on the lathe. Likey you could do big knurls (minus some diamiter due to the size of the knurling tool) even on your 7x14 if it doesnt stall out with a sissor tool.

Big lathes like a 11x26 and bigger should be fine with doing 1" holes, Usally you bore it out after getting it to 1" as bigger drill bits become very costly as they don't come in any cheap chinese sets.
    Lots of lube is required however! and retracting the drill if its a deep hole to clear chips, drilling a pilot hole also REALLY helps with larger drill bits.
    (Reason being the very center of the drill bit moves at allmost 0SFM.. 0SFM doesnt cut very well! You can run a 1/4" pilot bit MUCH faster then the 1" drill so the same near center point is moving much faster, and theres much more force on that smaller area.

Don't buy the 11". It is a POS. Get the 12" if you want a decent lathe.

http://grizzly.com/products/11-x-26-...Gearbox/G9972Z
    the specs on the 11x26 don't look all that great either.. 1" Spindle bore.. the extra 1/2" on the big lathes is REALLY nice.

the gearbox only has like 9 possable settings.. Very lame. You'll be swaping a lot of gears, if you can even make the threading ratio you need for whatever project.

1hp is.. ok.. but meh. 150RPM min is a little too fast for large facing/low TPI threading too. 2400RPM max is nice however. Finest feed at 0.002" seems a little coarse.. 3/8" tool is kinda lame too. 1/2" has soo much more metal to it.
    Most lathes also come with face plate, 3 and 4 jaw chuck. stand, toolbox with a dozen wrenchs/alen keys.. doesnt mention anything about accessorys there.

There are good lathes out there in that price range... but Id really recommend the 12x36 size (the ones with sealed threading gearboxes are best IMO) if you can afford it, its the smallest size that tends to come with all the REALLY good features you would expect to see on an industral lathe.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will hold out for the 12 x 36.
    Gary

Another vote for the 12x36 --- There is a marked difference in the import lathes starting with the 12x36's - for the better! Really quite a step up between the 2 groups.
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

X4 - the 11x26 is just a swelled up 9x20, go one more step and get a mucho better machine. My next target, after I pay off the mill.

gnm109 Guest

For another few $$$ you can get the Grizzly 13X40 or Enco 13X40..........