Thread: Welding HDPE

Default Welding HDPE

How is HDPE Welded. What is the cost to get set up to do it?
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Its welded with a hot air welder. I have a Leister. My dad has a number of them. He does work for a lot of wineries and repairs a lot of their plastic parts. He has a Leister like mine, A self contained unit (Cant remember who made it, and a harbor freight one. The HF one is actually pretty good. The Leister has a electronic thermostat internally, the others are set by adjusting the air flow. He also has a small variac he carries with him that will allow him to vary the heat that way.

HDPE hot air welds at 608 degrees F. Plastic supply housed usually stock the rod.

Plastic welding works great. It really save my butt once when I had a leak on my 120 gallon salt water aquarium on the pvc fitting of the 3000 gph pump outlet. I would have had to take the entire system apart but since I had the welder I was able to weld the PVC pipe and fitting together and it never leaked again.

Mine is similar to this one:

http://www.malcom.com/products/welding_pen.php
    Last edited by macona; 10-10-2009 at 10:11 PM.

I do this for a living. There is fusion and extrusion welding. Both require right at 490 deg F. What thickness are you looking at welding?
    Ted

If you're going to do it as Professional service you need the correct tools, but if you need to do a quick repair, a strip of the parent material and a clean soldering iron are very effective.

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Arrow

Now there's a question, and it depends exactly which sector of industry and which products you are talking about.

Injection moulded product can be ultrasonically welded, spin welded (round parts), and vibration welded. Pipes are generally induction welded via an embedded metal ring, thin sheet can sometimes be HF welded, complex shapes and profiles are usually hot-plate welded, and repairs to HDPE parts are usually carried out with a hot-air gun and a stick of parent material filler rod.

And contrary to what you have heard above ,all HDPE has a melting range - not a melting point - between 180C and 220C (356F-428 F) depending on it's additives package. So I don't quite understand why you guys are going so hot, unless you're measuring air-gun output temperature and not actual material temperature.

For a quick fix, Circlips suggestion is perfect.

Peter

This should give an idea of whats out there and a neighborhood price. They also have the rod.
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/sea...elders&x=0&y=0

In addition to the Harbor freight one they sell packages of assorted rod. don't know what kind is in the package. They use to have a couple of different packages as HF does.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Default Welding HDPE

To start with I would like to be able to weld 3/8 to 1/2" sheet products to make simple dividers and custom storage racks. This is totally home shop oriented. These thicknesses I could screw together. If this is workable it would be nice to weld 1/8 to 1/4" also. Any advice or input would be appreciated. Some 3/8" sheets from U S Plastics should be in this week.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

You coud put an 1/8" 45deg weld prep on the 3/8th edges and a fillet of "Weld" down each side.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.