Thread: Looking For A Stand For Clausing 8530

Default Looking For A Stand For Clausing 8530

I've finally got my 8530 close to being functional. It started as a headless mill with no stand and over the years I've been able to find the turret and ram but not the ever-elusive head. Tired of waiting I broke down and purchased a Bridgeport M-head. I machined a adapter and it bolts up nicely, it's the right scale for this size machine, and actually looks like it belongs there. It only needs to be about 18" tall. The last big piece now is a stand, and that's where I'm hoping this group may be able to help. Does anyone know of a Clausing base or aftermarket base that would be right for this machine?

Tom

I just picked up a stand for my 8525 from Joe at Plaza Machinery. I know he has a number of parts and may have another stand. His web site is: www.plazamachinery.com

George

Thanks George. I did check with Joe at Plaza and he does not have any more stands at this time. It would be great to have original equipment but if I have to get the stand off a import mill then I can live with that while I wait and watch. It's taken me years to get the mill back to where it can actually cut metal again.

This machine was never used as a metalworking machine, instead it was the base for a precision silkscreen machine. I saw what it was and snapped it up when it was decomissioned. The base is pristine....but no head. I managed to find all that I need except the spindle head. Maybe some day I'll find one but in the interim I've mounted a Bridgeport M-head and I'm very pleased with the way it looks. Perfect scale for this machine. As soon as I get the motor wired up it should be ready to cut metal.

Quote Originally Posted by SwarfMaster
    I've finally got my 8530 close to being functional. It started as a headless mill with no stand and over the years I've been able to find the turret and ram but not the ever-elusive head. Tired of waiting I broke down and purchased a Bridgeport M-head. I machined a adapter and it bolts up nicely, it's the right scale for this size machine, and actually looks like it belongs there. It only needs to be about 18" tall. The last big piece now is a stand, and that's where I'm hoping this group may be able to help. Does anyone know of a Clausing base or aftermarket base that would be right for this machine?

Tom
    Could post some pix of this adapter? I have a Clausing 8520 with a badly bent spindle and have been thinking of doing a similar head swap. Any info you can provide would be a great help.

Thanks.

Tom,
    Have you joined and inquired on the Clausing Yahoo group?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clausing_lathe_and_mill/

Ken

You could make your own... I find myself looking at my prefabed machinery stands and considering remaking them... especialy as my band saw stand does not even have a door to get inside, let alone shelfs...
    And those tiny little cabinates that make up the lathe stand seem to waste so much space behind my lathe.. since it can't be all that close to the wall anyway or I can't get the chip guard on/off to get the cross slide on/off. (Though currently I just do without the spash guard.. Don't really mind those chips behind the machine and the odd oil splatter on the wall.)

Too_Many_Tools Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SwarfMaster
    Thanks George. I did check with Joe at Plaza and he does not have any more stands at this time. It would be great to have original equipment but if I have to get the stand off a import mill then I can live with that while I wait and watch. It's taken me years to get the mill back to where it can actually cut metal again.

This machine was never used as a metalworking machine, instead it was the base for a precision silkscreen machine. I saw what it was and snapped it up when it was decomissioned. The base is pristine....but no head. I managed to find all that I need except the spindle head. Maybe some day I'll find one but in the interim I've mounted a Bridgeport M-head and I'm very pleased with the way it looks. Perfect scale for this machine. As soon as I get the motor wired up it should be ready to cut metal.
    Could you post some pictures?

Thanks

TMT