Thread: Beginner machining projects

Default Beginner machining projects

I know there are a lot of newbie machining students, like me, that lurk on this site. I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where the more experienced forum members could post projects to serve as learning experiences for those wanting to improve their machining skills with practice.

This is that thread

Default My first machining project...

After the excellent instruction I've recieved on this site, I thougt I'd try to make this as my first real project. I saw this on the PM site, and it really made me laugh. Supposedly, this is given to a beginner machinist, who is then told to go remove the nut. I just finished it today:

With nut removed:

The trick:

The challenge for the beginner is to figure it out, plan it properly, and execute the plan.

Have fun, I did

Any time I need to know how to do something I check Frank Ford's site, first.

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Pr...aptivenut.html

This site should be in the national archives!

Excellent!

A different solution, using threaded rod. I machined an integral post into mine.

An excellent project for a beginner.

Braindead,
    Those are a great project, I've made many of them, at one time to make cash when I was out of work. I still have one or two laying around and one small one stuck on my key chain. Believe it or not, one of them once landed me a job.

One variety I did was sort of fun, I turned the ends only 10-15 thou over the minor diameter of the thread so that it looked like the ends were smaller and the nut could pass over. a little extra confusion for those trying to figure the puzzle out.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter
    Braindead,
    Those are a great project, I've made many of them, at one time to make cash when I was out of work. I still have one or two laying around and one small one stuck on my key chain. Believe it or not, one of them once landed me a job.

One variety I did was sort of fun, I turned the ends only 10-15 thou over the minor diameter of the thread so that it looked like the ends were smaller and the nut could pass over. a little extra confusion for those trying to figure the puzzle out.
    Hehe, good one.

I heard a similar story of a guy trying to get a job at a local machine shop, but after repeated attempts it was No Go. A friend suggested that he take his toy in and show it, and they hired him. Obviously, for a beginner it demonstrates some understanding of several basic skills.

For someone of my beginning skill level, and since I included an integral post, it was an excellent learning experience.

I would encourage anyone here with similar 'projects' to post here. Or, equally as useful, simple tools or useful fixtures that we beginners can cut our teeth on.

I'm not yet a subscriber to either of the magazines that sponsor this forum (still waiting on sample issues), but if they don't have one already, a column for beginner projects, as I'd hoped this might become, would be gggrrreat! (Tony the Tiger)

I have a second 'toy' that I'll be starting soon, and will post it here when completed.

Found some pics of the ones I made. Actually all of the styles I made. The last one you'll see is the one I made many of and sold off. Will post an idea for a nice project for you in another reply.

This little container I turned on the lathe. Mostly as a curious exercise in working with wood, but decided it would be nice to have a dependable place to store certain tools. To this day my threading stuff, fishtail and thread gauge, reside in this container. The wood was Ash IIRC, just a large dowel I picked up at the hardware store for a few bucks. I also cut a recess and inlaid a cork seal, then turned it down to size for a nice fit.

Have a QCTP? Consider not only a nice visual upgrade, but also a functional one. Never reach for a wrench again! The odd looking finish on the hex stock is filed crosshatch. That looked really nice.

Last edited by Walter; 10-13-2009 at 06:31 PM.