Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to reverse motor rotation.

Default How to reverse motor rotation.

I have an older motor.. it spins the wrong way...

Wierdscience gave me some advice to switch motor leads 5&8 to reverse the motor. Only problem is there are only 2 wires coming out of the motor......

What to do?

Edit to add: Of course there isnt an diagram either... When I look in the motor, there is a small circuit board, but thats it..
    Last edited by cuemaker; 10-22-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Europe-Asia border aka somewhere on the Saros

Quote Originally Posted by cuemaker
    I have an older motor.. it spins the wrong way...

Wierdscience gave me some advice to switch motor leads 5&8 to reverse the motor. Only problem is there are only 2 wires coming out of the motor......

What to do?
    Post a picture of the end of the motor the wires come out of and maybe any name plates on the motor, An overall picture of the motor would help too. All this is a PITA, but will help those of us not familiar with the situation to make some suggestions.

ummm, the motor has been cleaned by the way.....New NSK bearings also...used all those spring washers that you can see in one of the pics to press the bigger one in...rather lucky I had those handy...

It will help if you open up the junction box on the side of the motor housing, where the cord goes in, and take a picture of the leads.

Also, the motor nameplate, which should also be on the housing. The picture you show with the two wires is the overload switch and reset button, not the motor leads.

looks like a classic repulsion motor, unless it is actually DC......or universal....... several possibilities, which will look much the same.

is there any data plate on the motor?

I am assuming you would mention that it was DC if it was. So repulsion is most likely. Unless there is stuff on the end I can't see, does not look like repulsion-induction, but could be, since the shorting bars don't take up much space and might not be visible, and those are more common.

IIRC the rotation is reversed by shifting brushes , there may be a way to rotate them somewhat.

Also can be done in a repulsion type (not repulsion start-induction run)by re-connecting the rotor (changing brush connections) That can be done to plug-reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers

IIRC the rotation is reversed by shifting brushes , there may be a way to rotate them somewhat.

Also can be done in a repulsion type (not repulsion start-induction run)by re-connecting the rotor (changing brush connections) That can be done to plug-reverse.
    I can take out the thing holding the 4 things (i assume they are the brushes since they ride on the small copper part) and rebolt them into any of (4?) positions... in fact, while putting this thing back together i didnt bolt it in in the same position....

That looks like a repulsion-induction motor. You should be able to change the direction of the motor by changing the position of the brushes with respect to the field poles.

Look at the picture showing the brush-holder (the third picture in post #3). The large poles of the stator are at the 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees. The brushes are at (approximately) 35, 125, 215, and 305. If you shift the position of the brush mounting plate about 20 degrees clockwise so the brushes are at 55, 145, 235, and 325, the rotation should be reversed.

I can't tell for sure from the photo if the brush mounting plate can be moved to that position, but it looks like the clamps under the screws at 90 and 270 could be loosened to allow the plate to be moved.

The brushes short the armature to produce a torque at low speeds. The torque direction depends on the offset of the brushes with respect to the stator poles. Once running, it works like an induction motor.

Roger
    Last edited by winchman; 10-23-2009 at 02:29 AM.

changing the brush holders postion will change the direction and speed of the motor, but you might find that tricky if its not deisned to do that.
    It looks like there are just 2 wires comming from the stator (outer stationary windings), if you reverse the connections of those 2 wires then your rotation should reverse.
    Brush motors are noisy critters, but give decent power for their size.
    Build it, bodge it, but dont buy it.