Thread: Removing & Installing 3/8" Dovetail Front Sight

Default Removing & Installing 3/8" Dovetail Front Sight

I have a old Remington 510 single shot that needs replacement of the front sight. The sight is dovetailed directly to barrel - not on a ramp. Any plans/drawings for a homemade tool using threaded jacking piece or should I just drive/drift the old one off and drive/drift the new one on with a wood or brass dowel?
    A threaded tool would also be nice to fine adjust front sight for windage.

Thanks

Jim

The sight can be removed using a drift, driving from left to right.

This is a sight pusher I made if that suits you. It is 1" wide X 3-1/2" long X 2" high. It need not be elaborate, the fine thread assists in fine adjustment for windage.

Jim H.

Good looking pusher!
    Brass & alum is just right, no marks from that.

Just remember that on most guns, in from the right out from the left.
    As you would hold the gun.

Thanks for the replies. I like that pusher.

Jim

The problem with sight pushers and round barrels is that there is nothing to clamp to/against that won't keep the pusher from moving when the pusher pad contacts the sight. On a sight in a ramp, or even an octagon barrel, you've got a flat surface to brace against. Best bet on a sight directly in a round barrel is a padded bench vise and a brass tipped punch with an eight ounce ball-pein hammer behind it.
    David Kaiser
    Montezuma, IA

Using a pusher on a round barrell pretty much requires that either the barrel or the pusher be clamped in a vise to prevent turning. The hammer and drift are more expedient. The pusher does provide a more controllable means of adjusting a sight for windage.

I made the pictured pusher to install and adjust a front sight on a ramp to prevent damaging or loosening of the ramp. It did serve the purpose, but now resides unused in my gun stuff drawer.
    Jim H.

JCH -- What are you using as a bearing surface between the brass pusher and the steel screw. Does the brass have a shoulder that it bears on, or maybe a steel ball in the center of the screw hole?
    Just curious. I hate it when the brass tends to turn with the screw under pressure.

The screw is 3/8", the brass pusher is 1/4" with a 3/8" flange to keep it from falling out. Pushing pressure is low enough that the pusher does not turn. If it were a problem, the end of the screw could be reduced or turned to a point to reduce the tendency.
    Jim H.