Thread: Whazza Norbide stick?

gregl Guest

Default Whazza Norbide stick?

I found two of these, new in their plastic tubes, in a box of bits and cutters I bought at a garage sale. A web search shows that they're dressing sticks, but I almost passed out when I saw the price listed on one web source at $50 per copy! They are only 1/4 by 1/2 by 3 inches long!

What makes them so special that they're worth $50 each, and what, exactly, are they used for?

THANKS!

You use them for dressing grinding wheels.

Norbide is Norton's trade name for pressed/sintered boron carbide.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo
    You use them for dressing grinding wheels.

Norbide is Norton's trade name for pressed/sintered boron carbide.
    And you'll be amazed at how they hold up. Dress the **** out of a wheel to rough an angle or radius and it won't look like it's ever touched anything.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

gregl Guest

Which type of wheels? AO, silicon carbide? Rough or finish dressing? Thanks.

I use my norbide stick primarily on al ox wheels, finer grit. Usually on my KO Lee tool grinder for HSS steel on a cup wheel. I also side dress surface grinders for side grinding with them, gets right in there. Have one for home to use on a coarser AL Ox wheel on a small bench grinder. They work on Silicon Carbide as well.

Great little dresing sticks. I still use the original norbide given to me in my tool grinding part of my apprenticeship over 30 years ago. Used it last week, just a little wear on the edges.

I’ve used mine mainly to rough AO wheels. After about 15 years of hard use, I still have two sharp corners left.

Mine came from a large chunk that was included in a wire EDM purchase. The approximately 1-1/2” x 3” x 12” block looked and felt just like graphite, so it was tossed in the used electrode box. The first guy to use it ended up knocking all the teeth off the bandsaw when he tried to cut it. It didn’t even scratch the Norbide.

We ended up wire EDM cutting it up into dressing sticks for the guys in the shop. The EDM had come from a large company that specialized in grinding and our guess was the Norbide was shaped on the EDM and used for dressing a form on the wheels.

George

gregl Guest

Thanks, guys. Hand-held or in a fixture?

There is general information on use and holders here;

http://www.ind.nortonabrasives.com/u...singSticks.pdf
    Jim H.

Use them hand held for clearing away the backside of a wheel.
    Slightly dish the backside with a norbide stick. Surface dress the wheel w/ a diamond. That will give you a sharp edge of only a few grains.
    Side grind your work lightly amd spark out the piece.
    You will have a right angle to your surface.
    Norbide sticks are also used for roughing in angles and radiuses.
    KL.