Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Enco Bandsaw arrived...

Thumbs down New Enco Bandsaw arrived...

Well, my new 7x12 "Deluxe" bandsaw from Enco arrived the other day. I was happy to see that the cheap Chinese shipping crate made it here intact and not smashed to bits. The first thing I looked at through the openings in the crate was the motor fan housing, since 3 machines I looked at in local HF stores all had broken housings. Seeing how that part of the motor sits right at the edge of the crate, I now understand WHY they were all broken. The good news is mine was unharmed.

The bad news:

The bracket that is supposed to hold the bow to the base during shipping was not bolted to the base, allowing the bow to bounce around. This of course did some minor damage to the power on/off toggle switch rubber cover and "auto off" bracket. Covers are torn and would allow coolant to run down into the switch if splashed.

Both drive and driven pulleys are in the same orientation - that is, small pulleys at the top and large pulleys at the bottom. WTH???
    The driven pulley should be just the opposite, but I can't turn it around because the shank with the set screws is on the wrong side, and would stick out past the end of the gear box shaft. Bill Pace's thread shows how it should look. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=28590
    My driven pulley is backwards from his. Kinda makes it impossible to make any speed changes.

Also I paid the extra $$ for the "UL" motor, but it appears to be the same one as on Bill's "standard" saw motor.
    Bill: If you could provide the part number from your motor plate, it would be appreciated...

I have emails into Enco about all this. Will see how they handle it. (queue the Jeopardy music...)

I was surprised at least to find that when running it is a VERY quiet machine!
    edit: One other "plus" is it also now has a "pull handle" bolted to the front of the cabinet for lifting and moving.
    Last edited by Highpower; 11-08-2009 at 03:13 PM.

That explains something. I have the smaller HF 4x6 bandsaw and when I brought it home the motor made a terrible racket. I looked and noticed the fan cover on the end of the motor was smashed in and rubbed the fan. I took the cover off and "persuaded" it back into a somewhat round shape, and the saw runs fine. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to box it back up and drive back to HF to exchange it for a different one (which would probably have the same, or worse, problem).

andy b.

Yes, it seems to be quite common on the HF saws that I have seen. 3 different saws in 3 different stores, and every one of them had a 6 - 8 inch chuck broken out of the top of the fan shroud.
    This is a pic from another thread involving a spill with an Enco saw. Same spot every time.

I originally planned on just getting a HF 7x12 since I had a 20% off coupon (in store), but of course none of the stores keep them in stock!
    After looking at the 3 trashed displays I thought I would have better luck going through Enco...

Also I paid the extra $$ for the "UL" motor, but it appears to be the same one as on Bill's "standard" saw motor.
    Bill: If you could provide the part number from your motor plate, it would be appreciated...
    Here you go High, hope you can make out enough info to get what you need -- that model # is loooong

Your saws arrival condition really isnt too bad, doesnt sound like its anything that cant be remedied relatively easy. Unfortunately, it seems that getting anything off trucking without any damages/scratches, etc just dont happen and with the hassles of getting the replacement/s its easier to just do the repairs and go on....

Now, it they didnt replace your motor with a UL --- then thats something else

My saw is still performing nicely....

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Apparently you can reproduce in China for next to nothing, but sandwiching em in a freighter halfway around the globe with flimsy crating and having the warehouse personnel give them their treatment is a bit much............
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

If saws are being shipped without UL motors you need to report that before someone's shop burns down to the ground

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/corporate/contactus/

The original motor in my Jet horizontal (with automatic shut off) smoked while I went inside to refill my coffee. I was shocked to see they had NO thermal shut off device of any kind in the motor - which of course is a violation of UL, NEC, and the Health & Safety Code of most states

Also UL, SR, and RU are all underwriting laboratories

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFin
    Also UL, SR, and RU are all underwriting laboratories
    As far as I know "RU" simply indicates a UL "component" does it not? A circuit breaker for example. Does having that one part qualify it as a "UL" motor? I don't know - that's why I'm asking....

Bill bought a "standard" saw with the same RU mark on the motor. So what did I pay extra for then? I was expecting an actual UL "Listed" label at the very least even though they made sure to describe it as a (UL) motor and not a "UL Listed" motor. Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

Guess I'll just have to wait for Enco's reply.

Edit: My motor label is identical to Bill's except the Ser. No. and the Date.
    Last edited by Highpower; 11-09-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFin
    If saws are being shipped without UL motors you need to report that before someone's shop burns down to the ground
    Like this?

http://www.use-enco.com/ULMotorNotice092109.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Highpower
    Yes, it seems to be quite common on the HF saws that I have seen. 3 different saws in 3 different stores, and every one of them had a 6 - 8 inch chuck broken out of the top of the fan shroud.

I originally planned on just getting a HF 7x12 since I had a 20% off coupon (in store), but of course none of the stores keep them in stock!
    After looking at the 3 trashed displays I thought I would have better luck going through Enco...
    The 7 x 12 saw is available as a special order item at HF stores. The issue of a damaged display saw at the store has nothing to do with getting one that is not damaged. When I have special ordered items I always inspect it before I sign for it. Matter of fact the manager of the store ask me to inspect the machines. If the item had been damaged I would have asked for a replacement. BTW, this has never happened for the items I have special ordered.