Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leatherman tool review..xmas is coming

Default leatherman tool review..xmas is coming

Well that time of year is coming. (xmas) I have always been fond of the leatherman type tools. I was that kid in junior high that had 3 pieces of wire, various pieces of plastic, a knife and a pair of needle nose pliers on me at all times. Ruined a lot of jean pockets in those days. Then the leatherman. I think mine is the wave model right now. Problem is it was always so heavy. Great when you are wearing a belt, not good to toss in your pocket. I wear a lot dress clothes etc. A cell, pager etc on my belt..to add in a leatherman it looks a bit silly. Along comes the Leatherman Skeletool cx. There are 2 versions, 77 bucks for alum, 100 for carbon fiber. While not as complete as a big leatherman, it has, needle nose pliers/wire cutter, blade 1/2 serrated, screwdriver with 4 tips and bottle opener. It has a pocket clip and only weighs 5 oz. This is the ideal stocking stuffer for your wife. When she throws it at you, it is light and will be worth taking off her hands, as she has no use for it. I got a tablesaw that way once. Anyway here is a link to it with reviews. In reading, it seems the cx has a few more minor differences..enjoy
    http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-830.../dp/B000XU43IC
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

I like those things alot. Problem is like expensive sunglasses, I can never keep them for very long. I always seem to lose them somehow. I got a real nice one for Xmas awhile back and kept it in my car. Real handy and then it suffered a "mysterious disappearance" Sill have the nice leather belt case though!

Due to their prior support of gun control, I will not buy any of their products. Don't know if they still support it or not, it doesn't matter to me.

I was unaware of any gun control issues.. i did a quick search and found a letter from the owner..seemed resonable to me. It was more about politics rather than a single issue. While I am more conservative than liberal I do support his right to make his own choice.(and do agree with the poster at the end..he cannot seperate his company from his politics if he lists his company in such a manner)
    http://thebullspeaks.com/2004/11/a-l...mr-leatherman/
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

I found a Leatherman tool in the road more than 15 years ago. When one of the screwdriver bits folded back when trying to loosen an apropriately sized screw I determented that there were many uses it was not good for. I will never recommend this tool. A big dissapointment unless there is no real work to be done.
    gvasale

I have one.. a "super tool" that ain't so super. The material is too soft...the screwdriver bits deflect.. The phillips bit...strips and rounds over.. The plier jaws are also too soft...allowing the serrations to be stripped off the surface.

Then there is the issue that the old "super tool" will leave a SUPER blood blister in the palm of your hand when the pliers slip off what ever your squeezing.. OUCH!!..

They are overpriced for the quality.
    Great concept... but wrong material.

I wonder if the other companies like SOG, BUCK, Gerber or someone else makes a really good one...that has hardened steel?

Perhaps Leatherman would be wonderful if they used stainless for the handles.. and good carbon steel..4140 hardened and drawn back to 48-50 for the pliers and screwdrivers... and D2 for the knife blades.

Cheers
    Mac.

that sucks,
    Maybe it was an issue with the older tools. I have used my 'wave' leatherman for years, boat/camping/shooting/etc just about everything. never had an issue with stripping serrations or soft screwdrives. The my current skeletool also uses hardened bits that are replaceable (has 4 tips), pliers=time will tell. I guess results may vary and thusfar mine have been great!

I've had good luck with Gerber. I don't like the =dirty biter= aspect of a lot of them , but the Gerber suspention is pretty good. I broke one of the Jaws on the pliers and Gerber replaced the whole thing free of charge.
    The one I have and like the best I can't get anymore. I got it at Sears and it has a visegrip type needle nose locking pliers and by far the sharpest serrated knife of any combo tool I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclemac
    *** I wonder if the other companies like SOG, BUCK, Gerber or someone else makes a really good one...that has hardened steel? *** Cheers Mac.
    http://sogknives.com/store/S31.html

I've used a SOG Paratool for about 15 years with no issues. No belt-sized multi tool with ever replace the appropriately sized dedicted tool, but that's not really their purpose. It's the tool that's with you at the moment when your toolbox isn't. Beats the hell out of having nothing.
    Last edited by Bob Farr; 11-15-2009 at 09:12 AM.

I don't know how true it is, but I heard SOG has started farming a lot of their production to our favorite Asian source of crap, I mean China. I think Leatherman is still made in the USA. I am not sure about Gerber.

I have a Leatherman that is at least 15 years old. So far it does whatever I ask, and I use it frequently. At one point it was the only tool I carried when I was on-call for plant maintenance at a large bakery. If I got to the problem and it was too much for the Leatherman, I'd go to my toolbox and get the appropriate REAL tool.

andy b.