Thread: O-ring chamfer seat dimensions?

Default O-ring chamfer seat dimensions?

Anyone know where I can find recommended dimensions for O-ring chamfer seats? My Machinery's Handbook only gives sizes for square grooves.

This is for a follow-up to my Oil Filter query. I've eventually found a filter which is 10mm shorter than the original. The original was screwed into a cage so didn't need sealing at the bottom, whereas the new one is a conventional paper cartridge. I plan to make a pair of seating/packing washers for the bottom, with a chamfer groove between for an O-ring to seal onto the central bolt.
    The thread on the central bolt (nominal 1/2") is slightly bigger than the shank, so I can't make something up with a close-fitting flat neoprene washer as is commonly done.

Yes I can play about until it 'looks right', but I haven't got the O-ring yet!

Thanks
    Tim

hmmm, I have never used anything but a square cut groove when making anything that requires an O-ring. The square cut groove has always sealed perfectly.
    I have only paid attention to deburr the grooves so as leaving nothing that might cut the 0-ring.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S_J_H
    hmmm, I have never used anything but a square cut groove when making anything that requires an O-ring. The square cut groove has always sealed perfectly.
    I have only paid attention to deburr the grooves so as leaving nothing that might cut the 0-ring.
    Steve
    The chamfer groove allows parts to be assembled loose, then the chamfer tightens the ring onto the shaft, for static applications.
    This thing is deep down in the bottom of the filter can, where it can't easily be reached. I need to be able to drop the components down the central bolt one at a time and know that the spring pressure when assembled will push the ring against the bolt.

Tim

Take a look in the Parker O-Ring Handbook page 4-21. Should be all the info you need.

parker.com/literature/ORD 5700 Parker_O-Ring_Handbook.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mbensema
    Take a look in the Parker O-Ring Handbook page 4-21. Should be all the info you need.

parker.com/literature/ORD 5700 Parker_O-Ring_Handbook.pdf

Thanks for that. The link didn't work for me but I found an equivalent document by digging around on their site.

I didn't have the filter bowl & central bolt here when I asked the question, went to where the boat & engine are yesterday to fetch it & check dimensions. In fact although the thread is a bit bigger than the shank on the bolt the discrepancy is less than I thought, so I've been able to adopt the simpler solution of a tight-fitting neoprene washer between two flat plates.

Tim