Thread: OT: I'm thankful early this year.

Thumbs up OT: I'm thankful early this year.

I started a week's vacation this past Thurs. to get ready for a big Thanksgiving feast for 20 family members at the DickeyBird estate. (Yeah, I'm dreaming now...the estate part anyway.)

As usual, anytime I start a vacation, something has to go wrong around the house. Youngest daughter calls earlier & says "Hayley (the neighbor's young teenage daughter) says there's water running out of the side of your house!"

I ran outside and sure enough, a steaming waterfall is pouring out from the water heater pan drain pipe. So, off to H/Depot, a new water heater is quickly procured, I roll it into the house by myself on the 2 wheeler, all the time on the cellphone tryng to get various friends & relatives to help me wrestle the old one over a/c vents in the attic and down through the pull down stair like I had to do the last time this happened 15 yrs ago . No joy from anybody though, they were all busy.

I finally got a hold of newest son-in-law and S.I.L. to be and they came over an hour later and what a big help they were! New S.I.L. is a rock climber and Eagle scout and his knot tying prowess really came through. The new unit was a bit larger in dia. and wouldn't clear the pull-down stair linkage & springs so we had to rig a rope harness to dead lift the thing straight up through the larger part of the opening. S.I.L to be and I were in the attic pulling the rope and new S.I.L and #2 daughter were underneath pushing and the thing (60 gallon electric) went up & into the attic like magic.

It was a good plan, collectively thought through and we worked together like a team. They had fun, added a lot of good suggestions to the process and I got my new unit installed before supper.

I am so thankful for these youngsters. They are some good'uns!

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

It sure was nice you got lots of help. Next time think about a Tankless Hot Water Tank. Endless hot water and a very small gas bill. That's if you have gas. We were electric and our gas bill is very low with both this and out Heat pump with Gas backup. The conversion from Electric to Tankless was done in less than 2 hours. Direct vent PVC out the house. We have had it almost 2 years and best thing we have done around house.

Well, I'll be darned. I never even considered changing to a tankless unit. Everything is electric in my house. For some reason I thought tankless was for low volume use. Oh well, there's always next time.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD
    For some reason I thought tankless was for low volume use. Oh well, there's always next time.
    That worked out pretty good that you had some willing helpers. I know that feeling.

On the tankless water heaters, my wife and kids don't know what the term "low volume" means, and we have yet to run out of hot water when needed. Ours is part of the oil furnace, and not gas, but it is tankless.

andy b.

You can get low flow ones that provide hot water to JUST a sink, or bigger units for tubs/showers, or one for the entire house

the nice idea of having it close to the sink/tub etc is it will be instantly hot, insted of running water for 2 mins while the pipes warm up.

Heck yes.. be thankful for small things that way you won't be dissapointed.

ANYBODY that shows up to help at anything, hug their neck. You really recognize your true friends when you are down and out, they show up waving "five" dollar bills trying to buy your thousand dollar tools.

Yes, I ran a few more so called friends off. Soon it'll be the wife and the pitt bulldog and me.

Aww.. life is so sweet. Make the best of it, I am fixing to watch a sunrise so beautiful I will be in Awe the rest of the day. Drinking Starbucks coffee, fresh ground here, the beans so oily I knew as the smell erupted from the kitchen I had to sneak a few holiday cookies to go with it.. (my wife has baked 15lbs fudge and other stuff going to Iraq)..

God bless, glad nobody got hurt and your problems are solved.
    Excuse me, I farted.