Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Model Engineers Workshop.

Default Model Engineers Workshop.

Speaking to David Clark the editor of MEW a month or so ago he told me that they were well on their way to scan in all the early copies of MEW but they were not sure how to market these.

Just before he went to the Sandown Show which is on this weekend he then told me that it was now public that this archive would be released on a yearly subscription basis for £29 per year.

No firm date has been set but it is imminent, sooner than later.
    I'll update this thread when I know more.

How about HSM going the same way George ?
    The president has been set that if the mag is scanned in it's entirety it gets by any copyright issues.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

if you have his ear John, please mention to do it properly....meaning at a very high resolution. Storage is cheap and bandwidths are high.....nothing frustrates me more than someone who puts out a pdf where as soon as you zoom into to read the labels on a diagram or something you're looking at lego blocks. grrrrrr the idiot should be fired for incompetency....and why's it often IT firms who should know better who are the culprits?

HSM has sort of done the same through the project books....not the same as scanned back issues, but at least the content stays in print

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver
    if you have his ear John, please mention to do it properly....meaning at a very high resolution.
    Unfortunately, MyHobbyStore's (the current Model Engineer publisher) official PDF scans are not high resolution. It's hard to read the prints from a printout or on-screen. I don't know if they're intentionally down-res'ing them, or if they just haven't figured out how to properly scan magazine articles.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

I sure hope he sets it up so us folks on this side of the "pond" can partake without a lot of trouble.
    Few things are more frustrating than finding something that you really want & then not be able to get it due to "international/political" restrictions.

For those who aren't aware of what Johnny is referring to, MyHobbyStore has a subscriber web page with additional content and the last 3 years of magazine articles, but only direct subscribers in the UK can access the web site.

I've been a Model Engineering Workshop subscriber for 3 years now, and I don't have access to the "subscriber only" web site, and according to David Clark's brief missive last month, I probably never will. Neither will the Canadian or Australian subscribers.

To be honest, it annoys me more than a little, because the MyHobbyStore "subscriber only" web site has a database indexed by a subscriber number. The international subscribers also have this number printed on each Royal Air Mail envelope, but they have apparently chosen not to allow access to overseas subscribers. Very nice
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo
    Unfortunately, MyHobbyStore's (the current Model Engineer publisher) official PDF scans are not high resolution. It's hard to read the prints from a printout or on-screen. I don't know if they're intentionally down-res'ing them, or if they just haven't figured out how to properly scan magazine articles.
    Robert they are high res if you view them on screen.
    They use some reader technology, a VCAB tecnology using flexpage, a lot like the J&L catalogue where you can turn the pages

When you first look at a page it's blurred

But in a second or so it becomes clear.

And is quite readable on line.
    If you print off to a pdf printer you get something inbetween, certainly not as good as the second pic but better than the first.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I have had a lot of mail asking about putting the back issues into pdf format for sale. We realize that the magazines will need to be offered electronically eventually, but I make no promises on the speed at which this will be implemented. Since we are primarily a printing company, the magazines have always been viewed as a way to help pay for the presses and the move to electronic sales is not a high priority.

There is a great deal of value sitting in the archives of VP and I think that the management may be receptive to mining this sometime in the future. The present economic climate has the company focused on the high return areas of our business, and the magazines donít fall in that category.

We have been organizing and archiving some of the more recent issues for the possibility of future sales, so it will happen, eventually, I think.

George

John, that looks great! I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to print or download the articles without hacking the web page, but that's well worth 29 pounds.

George, I'm going to get a lot of rotten tomatoes for saying this, but I would strongly recommend not releasing PDF's. Many magazines, for example, Nuts & Volts, Circuit Cellar, Popular Science, ... are simultaneously published by PDF, and they instantly show up on Bitttorrent.

Lazlo, I'm a Canadian subscriber to both M.E. and M.E.W. I can view the subscriber only content but you'll have to email My Hobby Store with your North American subscriber no. They will in turn issue you with a number that will work to view the subscriber only content. The new M.E. website does have some teething problems but I'm sure David will work things out.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by uncle pete
    Lazlo, I'm a Canadian subscriber to both M.E. and M.E.W. I can view the subscriber only content but you'll have to email My Hobby Store with your North American subscriber no.
    Really -- that's great news!?? I sent them an email last month, and got an automated email that said that overseas subscribers wouldn't have access to to the subscriber-only webpage. Sir John even interceded, and there was a comment in last month's editorial that said something to the effect that overseas subscribers would not have access. I guess they got enough hate-mail?