Thread: Cordless tool switches annoyance

Default Cordless tool switches annoyance

Not really that important, but I find it irritating - why can't the cordless tool makers be consistent with their reverse switches

I've been putting up some shelves today, wondered why the combi drill I was using to drill the brick walls started making a different noise and not drilling quite so well. Turns out I'd accidentally pushed the reverse button across.

I was using a Metabo plain drill, makita screwdriver and Ryobi combi drill. On the Metabo, you push the button across to the right to go clockwise, seems logical to me. The Makita & Ryobi go the other way. I'm 99% sure older Makita stuff, the ones with the long batteries, went the 'logical' way but all their recent stuff goes the 'wrong' way, I think Bosch also does it 'right'.

Is there some cultural influence which leans makers in one area to go one way, other areas to go the other? Bloody mindedness? Patent avoidance?

While I'm at it, why don't adjustable wrench makers standardise on their thread directions? There did seem to be a consensus developing among western makers, I think Bahco changed the thread hand on theirs, when we started getting flooded with cheap imports which mostly seem to be the opposite hand to most of the western stuff.

Moan over

Tim

Default Haven't had that problem...

My Dewalt and Makita tools all turn to the right when the button is pushed from the right. A little tear down and swap 2 wires and they can all function the same. Or maybe - you got one built the day when a new worker was putting the 2 wires in at random. Half the stuff runs the right eway, half runs the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by kf2qd
    My Dewalt and Makita tools all turn to the right when the button is pushed from the right. A little tear down and swap 2 wires and they can all function the same. Or maybe - you got one built the day when a new worker was putting the 2 wires in at random. Half the stuff runs the right eway, half runs the wrong direction.
    There's the difference - pushed from the right or pushed to the right

I've owned Makita old & new, they seem to have changed from 'to' to 'from'. No-name cheapy that I've used has all been 'from', as is Ryobi.
    Never used deWalt, but have used Bosch, pretty sure that uses 'to'. Metabo all seems to be 'to'.

'To' the right seems more natural to me (maybe partly because my first cordless tools worked that way) but it doesn't really matter which, it just annoys me that there's no consistency.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by kf2qd
    Read this and the lite clicked on. I owe you a cold one, and it does work I ran to the garage and grabbed that odd one and viola!