Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New South Bend lathes

Default New South Bend lathes

I checked the web site, still no small lathes and no date on when they can be expected :-/

Lets hope that they are taking their time to do it right. While I dont think I would be in the market to buy one, I am interested to see how it shakes out.

I wonder what type of attachments will be branded with the SB trademark?

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

quotes from Papagrizzly on PM he owns Grizzly and bought SouthBend

Look, things are progressing at a furious rate. The whole South Bend Site is going to get revamped, again, as soon as product starts to appear. We are designing machines and that takes time. Woodstock does have thousands of dealers. However, the problem is that South Bend does not have any machines in stock yet. Therefore, its dealers will not have any machines. No point in directing customers to dealers that do not have product.

Give us about three months and you will see a lot of different, high quality items showing up on the South Bend Web site, and subsequently, on Woodstock's website. In the meantime, feel free to contact South Bend CS with any particular questions you may have. I may even be inclined to answer some questions here, time permitting.

The only thing in stock right now is T-Shirts. That is child's play compared to making machines. Coming soon, milling machines, large lathes, vertical metal cutting bandsaws, lathe chucks, surface grinders, live centers - all top shelf stuff. These items should be on our web site within 60 days. Lot more in the works, but will be a few months behind.

If we wanted to offer Chinese chucks, they would already be in stock!

The chucks we (South Bend) are going to offer are going to be top of the line chucks, and not cheap in price. In fact, I know because I saw it with my own eyes last month at the factory in Taiwan, that the same factory makes the Buck Steel Body chucks.

This is the thread
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ly-177783.html

I think the 10K will be out in another couple months.

that was written on 05-19-2009

Quote Originally Posted by kben77
    quotes from Papagrizzly on PM he owns Grizzly and bought SouthBend

[ ... ]
    The only thing in stock right now is T-Shirts.[ ... ].
    Reminds me of a cartoon in one of the electronics magazines years back, when things like integrated op-amps and kindred analog I.C.s were the new kids on the block.

This salesman type sez to this engineer type, "Well we actually haven't quite made the part at this point, but we are shipping data sheets in quantity."

-bill

They have probably found out that to make a really nice lathe costs a lot, and lets be realistic, how many home shop machinists are going to drop maybe $10 000 on lathe when you can spend $5 000 and get one that is just as good and is going to last a long time... Look at the little 7X22 machines and look at the work they can spit out...

I'm real interested to see how these new machines turn out. I'm really only interested in the lathes. I just hope pricing is not to high. I am real curious to see whether or not they will look like the old SB lathes, or be the same boxy looking machines presently available from all the importers.

Time will tell..

Steve

My gut tells me PapaGriz isn't able to make the quality/price thing work out to his satisfaction. Southbend went out of business for a reason. It's a tough problem.

It could be that the Chicom lathes are they way they are because they are the perfect balance between quality and cost for the HSMer.

That leave precious little for Southbend to work with.

But hats off to PapaGriz and I hope he succeeds.

Why even pattern a whole new lathe.... when they could of re cast a classic either the 9" or 10 heavy. I bet they'll look like every other Pacific Rim lathe with a SouthBend badge on it.
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Ironically Boxfords who made the SB under licence in WWII but kept up with upgrades and customers wants are still going, together with Denford they control the whole of the UK Educational market.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.