Got To Work on the Vault Lock a Little today
Had time to finish drilling the various pin holes in the trigger housing. Milled the slot for the "hold closed plunger". Made the plunger, then realized that I made it wrong. Get to do that again.
Seems everything takes me at least two hours no matter how small I think the job is. No pics tonight maybe later in the week.
I do really like the Glacern vise I bought. It's a 4" and just the right size for my Millrite. I would have had to come up with a creative way to clamp the hold closed plunger in my old vise. Soft jaws probably. I had to machine it down to .125 thick.
I have the book listing the FM #1 and #2 plans. Are you finding any surprises as you move along? Seems like you're making pretty good progress.
Thanks and regards,
I machine a small scrap 1 inch or so wide. Gives a little more stiffness so machining the .0625 part is not so hard. Then cut off what is needed.
Thanks for all for all the replies.
Tom, I actually think I'm making lousy progress but I think sometimes I expect too much.
Bob, good idea. I started with a longer part than necessary but not wider. Anyway, pics.
Four tries to get the hold closed plunger.
Try number 1 the slot should have been .125 from the bottom instead of centered, DOH! Try number 2 got all done and was cutting to length and my clamping left something to be desired, DOH again! Try number 3 I realized that my drawing was wrong and the slot is too far from the end, this is getting ridiculous! Finally I got it done.
I machined the pin with a .020 thick head so the plunger couldn't just pop off. Consequently I had to put a rebate on the "outside" of the plunger not in the original plans. As a result the thinnest portion is .040" thick. But it doesn't take much abuse, at least I hope.
And the plunger and pin installed in the trigger housing.
All of the parts including the "pivotal bar" in the rear. It's slightly out of focus, sorry.