Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using Unimat SL as a tool post grinder

As further proof that I don't post everything that I do in the shop there is this:

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Instead of screwing up a perfectly good lathe, why not try this:-

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalo...ep_Mill__.html

"Model Engineers Workshop" did a couple of constructional articles on the quickstep, so as the Chinese copyists haven't brought one out yet for everyone to have a tool gloat about being so cheap, you could try making your own.

Alternatively, you could always mount a Sheerline on you toolpost.

Regards Ian.
    My Unimat is still completely usable in it's original form as a lathe, drill press, mill, circular saw, and all the other tools it is. My mounting of it's headstock on the SB lathe in no way harms the original machine. It's just pieces in a set-up. This is versatility.

I am also working on a T&C grinder design that will use the Unimat headstock for it's first generation spindle. If it works well, I may look for a E-bay headstock to modify permanently with better bearings and if not I will replace it with a dedicated design.

That being said, the milling head at that link looks like a very nice accessory. But $645.00??? My Unimat was purchased new (in the 60s) for less than 1/5 of that and I already had it. So cost wise it is a natural choice for me. Perhaps others here have that kind of money. But again, I spent about three times that and got a real (import) mill that is full sized.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 12-30-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Feeling ignored here..

That was 645 POUNDS ~1030.00 US....

That is 3 or 4 ebay Unimats... or an old bridgeport...

Not going to buy a sherline, as I already have a FREE unimat.

And after running Monarchs, SB's, and 12 in Clausings, Sheldons, Atlas's, Chinese... Why would I need 2 tiny lathes around? .... I don't do watchwork, or micro models...

Many milling spindles have been fitted to lathes before... An attachment that comes in handy once in a while. And as Evan has done, can add a new axis for CNC
    Last edited by Bguns; 01-01-2010 at 07:00 PM.

I've used my Unimat like that on the lathe- sometimes I can't perform a needed operation in any other way. If it works for you, do it.

My major dislike was the round rod ways, and the ensuing lack of rigidity on down the line. My second dislike was the inability to get a real return to parallel if you swiveled the head to cut a taper. Sure there's a locating pin, but it doesn't ensure a perfect re-alignment. To solve both these problems, I have found a cast iron dovetailed structure which I want to mount the Unimat head onto, then make up a new crosslide, etc. While I'm at it, I'll raise the head about an inch, equivalent to what the accessory riser block does.

This new bed is built in such a way that it will be easy to make a sort of pedestal stand for it. I'll probably change the motor to a dc one as well, since I'm already set up to operate dc motors at variable speeds. The original motor has had a lot of use and needs either some work, or replacement. I can't fault the spindle bearings- only the relatively small spindle bore- but this is a Unimat after all. I'd love to have it set up again as a tool for higher speed, smaller work, with at least this improvement in its functionality.

I will not be making any changes to the headstock which would prevent it's use as a lathe accessory with the existing adapters.

i coudnt resist to exhume this.

"I have done this. Here is my Unimat on my SB grinding an internal taper."

paul, are you really using a drill chuck for grinding it? looks like the 0.3 mm runnout variety. did you somehow grind it in or did you dress away most of the wheel?

I love my Unimat, in fact I have two. I don't use them often since I have a 9" South Bend, a 6" craftsman and two milling machines a large and a small. It is always a pleasure to use and visibility is pure, finish is always excellant. Size is the only limiting factor. Fantastic for a ton of operations. I never thought of the above uses but they sure make sense. Good job! Fred

Very,very handy to have a system for lathe Headstock dividing and Live Tooling on the cross or top slide. Sherline also offer two types of powered headstocks. One will do I think 10,000 rpm.

Pete

I think the Taig head stock would make a better adaption given the ER collet spindle.
    James Kilroy

Since I posted earlier in this thread I got one as well, made the mount, and have done ALL kinds of otherwise impossible operations with it!

yes thats allot of room to flex but light cuts still work fine.

Andy

Last edited by vpt; 05-03-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    Andy