Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acme tap drill chart

Default Acme tap drill chart

I've searched for a Acme tap drill size and found no info for it. The size is 1/2 -10 LH Acme. I have my cross feed nut blank in the mill vise ready to drill as soon as I come up with the drill size. Anybody ?

Paul

I just did the same nut (1/2x 10 acme.) Used a tandem tap from MSC. I drilled large enough to barely clear the end of the tap. The operation was very smooth. No problems as all.
    gvasale

First result from googling "acme tapping chart"

http://www.victornet.com/reference/Acme_Tap_Drill.html

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I can't categorically help with the correct tapping dill size, but I can point you in the direction of a very useful chart.

http://www.landisthreadingsystems.co...hreadforms.pdf

This gives you the option of several sizes for the major/minor diameters of the Acme thread depending on the tolerance class and fit you want.
    However as it's a nut for a leadscrew I would perhaps suggest that drilling undersize and then boring it to a more precise size commensurate with the fit you want to obtain may be a good idea.

I've never tapped an Acme thread before (never screwcut one either that I can remember), but I suspect that others that have done so on here will provide you with better advice.

Peter

Default Acme tap drill chart

Thank's fellows, i don't understand why I didn't come up with a chart, John, it is embarrassing to see how quick you came up with it.
    Thank's again fellows. HSM comes to the rescue !!

Paul

Default Welcome neighbor

I don't have a acme chart here at home. I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. I noticed you are from Ky' I am in TN. Hello neighbor!

pwasbury, note that on the website John Steveson posted it says that it's 10.4mm APROXIMATE What the hells with that John?; I thought that metric crap was so much more precise !!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Your Old Dog
    pwasbury, note that on the website John Steveson posted it says that it's 10.4mm APROXIMATE What the hells with that John?; I thought that metric crap was so much more precise !!

Default Azzit tizz

Hey YOD.

Just how and where did you measure all those metric craps? I trust you were very PC. I guess you had your hands full.

As you like it - or not

http://www.victornet.com/reference/Acme_Tap_Drill.html

That's because it was measured with this

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.