Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ball turning in the turret mill (photo)

Post Ball turning in the turret mill (photo)

On a previous visit to a wood crafts shop in the UK, my wife had seen a christmas tree full of turned wooden baubles. She started plucking them, only to be told by the shop owner that they weren't for sale - customers had donated them over the years, so put them back, please.

I decided to knock a few out. I wanted them to be nice & spherical, so I started looking at the various ball turning attachments for lathes. This looked like turning into another one of those making things to make things projects.

Instead, I rigged up a dividing head and a boring head, and held the work in the miller's spindle:
    http://www.photobucket.com/albums/10...t/2963c48f.jpg
    http://www.photobucket.com/albums/10...t/ec20a1ea.jpg

And it worked fine. I'm lucky, in that the dividing head has the same taper as the mill (if Tim Leech is reading this, yes, that's your old dividing head...)

For some of the balls, I offset the table on teh X and Y axes - the shapes were no longer balls, but decorative all the same.

I made a dozen balls, now I just need to polish them, fit brass eyes to hang them with, and that's one Christmas prezzie sorted out.

Ian

All of the gear, no idea...

My wife has seen this. You Bastich. I will have no rest until I try this. I don't have your convienient setup but it can be done.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Thumbs up

Nice technnique,I have to try it also!
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Great job. This is why I kee3p coming to the page.
    CCBW, MAH

Thanks guys,

Just after I posted this, I saw the post on a similar topic (is it possible to...)

Looking at the posts, especially John Stevenson's, it makes you realise how many different ways there are to skin a cat.

Evan; do you have a rotary table? Mount it on an angle plate, clamp your lathe's topslide to the rotary table, rig up a toolholder, same effect.

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Nice job Ian, this is the kind of stuff we look foreward to seeing, BUT, I have to agree with Evan, if the missus sees this there will no peace in the Swanson household , he made a big mistake letting the better half see this post Jim
    Jim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shaque:
    Nice job Ian, this is the kind of stuff we look foreward to seeing, BUT, I have to agree with Evan, if the missus sees this there will no peace in the Swanson household , he made a big mistake letting the better half see this post Jim </font>
    Copy of this post emailed to mrs.jjswanson@sympatico.ca

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Evan,
    You're missing a golden opportunity here...Ian did this in a TURRET MILL...certainly can't be done without a TURRET MILL...

Sure would be nice to have a TURRET MILL...

Evan is downstairs slaving away. Says he is making something to make these with???? Will have to see what he comes up with.????? I am sure he will let you know.

Herb W
    Member posted 10-19-2003 04:32 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evan,
    You're missing a golden opportunity here...Ian did this in a TURRET MILL...certainly can't be done without a TURRET MILL...
    Sure would be nice to have a TURRET MILL...

Actually this can be done quite easily with a woodturning lathe by hand I wonder why you feel this can only be done on a turret mill Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease