Page 119 of 192 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1919

Thread: Shop Made Tools

The horizontal frame (square tubes) appears to be adjustable by loosening those bolts, or are you referring to the levelers?

chris
    Last edited by Chris S.; 10-17-2011 at 06:11 PM.

maybe i am missing the purpose of these. i would have thought it would be a problem to have the machine tool operated on wheels. so my assumption was that it would be off the wheels during operation. am i wrong.

O, i think this well built
    by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal
    maybe i am missing the purpose of these. i would have thought it would be a problem to have the machine tool operated on wheels. so my assumption was that it would be off the wheels during operation. am i wrong.

O, i think this well built
    by the way.
    My take was that they were for moving machines, never saw anything about them being permanent.
    James

Gents thanks for the comments. The purpose of the leveling screws is two fold:

1) as was pointed out, it makes the load secure and doesn't allow it to roll around. The brakes on most casters are useless when its over a ton weight.

2) the prime purpose of the screws is to allow you to slip the carriage under the piece of equipment to move it, then to remove it when it's in place. The way this works is fairly straight forward. To get it under, use a crow bar to jack it up enough to slip a shim under the base of the machine thick enough to allow the carriage to go under it. The jack down the screws allowing the machine to rise in order to remove the shim. Then lower to allow the wheels to carry the load. The removal of the carriage is the reverse of above.

This allows me to be a one-man moving show. It's a lot simpler than it sounds and only takes moments. Hope this helps. Le the know if there are questions. Cheers.

Mt3 center drill holder and Mt3 bull nose live center.

Last edited by Boostinjdm; 10-24-2011 at 07:03 PM.

The MT3 was a freebie from a friend. I was going to make a smaller center drill holder, but it was too damn hard to drill. Plan B.... I cut a spot in the center of the taper so I could grab it in the chuck. Then cut it down to fit the bearings. The bearings are some cheap deep groove bearings I had lying around #6203. Couple bux each for three of them. The stock for the bull nose was just a big chunk of mystery metal I had been saving. I bored the big chunk for the bearings then pressed it all together. Drilled and tapped the nose and threaded in a long bolt. I stuck the assembly in the tailstock and drove it with a socket in the 3 jaw. That way the taper was cut while spinning on it's own bearings. Guaranteed concentric, no??? After that, I chucked the whole thing up in the 3 jaw and cut the bolt and tip off. The finish in the pic is as machined. No emery or scotch bright was used. I really like my new TPG tooling....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm
    The MT3 was a freebie from a friend. I was going to make a smaller center drill holder, but it was too damn hard to drill. Plan B.... I cut a spot in the center of the taper so I could grab it in the chuck. Then cut it down to fit the bearings..... The finish in the pic is as machined. No emery or scotch bright was used. I really like my new TPG tooling....
    Yeah, that's the stuff I was looking for.

Thanks!
    Chris

Default QCTP Drill Backup

I was reading in another thread how the poster had trouble with a QCTP rotating when using it to hold a drill. I had the same problem as well as the cross slide moving back and forth from screw backlash, and came up the a backstop that will stop this. The photos should be self explanatory. The boring bar holder has an 1 1/4" ID hole so I used a 1 1/4" X 3 MT sleeve which happens to be just long enough to go through the hole bored in the backstop to hold it all together. The backstop is bolted to the holes where a follower rest would be. When it's all tightened up it is very rigid. As you can see, it can also be used as a turret holder.

TS

Nice Solution !

Default Double the number of casters?

I am wondering if one could double the number of wheels to increase the weight capacity, thus providing larger weight capacity at a lower cost.

The machinery I have to move weighs in at 6000# to 8000#.