Page 12 of 357 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Made Tools

Vertical bandsaw for both metal and wood cutting. Done this years ago and have been happy with it. Have had no problems with it.

The standard speed motor for wood cutting drives the bandsaw so turning this motor on gives high speed for wood, plastic, aluminum and sometimes brass cutting.

There is a second motor. It is a treadmill motor that has a 28 to one gear reducer grafted onto it. The output of this is grafted onto a bicycle freewheel. So the treadmill motor drives the larger wood cutting motor but the larger wood cutting motor can't drive the geared down motor because of the one way action of the bicycle freewheel.

The teadmill motor has a variable speed control and the wood cutting has step pulleys for speed change if needed.

The back of the bandsaw showes two pulleys that are used for a digital tac. With a little math the sizes of the pulleys and number of sensors of the tac pickup is figured so the tac will show direct readings of feet per minute of blade speed.

Also shown on the panel is a switch for a small aquarium type air compressor that blows air on the cut line to clear chips.

Default fly cutter

I made this fly cutter in trade school. It's hard to see but note the porosity in the in the shank. Heat treated 4140.

Default Machinist Clamp

Machinist Clamp. Turned and knurled screws on lathe, milled and surface grind the rest.

I made this hammer/wrench but I've always been afraid to use it. Er, I mean I've been waiting to anodize it so then I can use it.

I also made a little holder for my digital camera. It's in the water proof case so I can shoot videos from inside the CNC cabinet.

Last edited by DaHui; 01-24-2010 at 01:12 AM.

Default Die Grinder

I made this die grinder a few years ago. all made on manual machines except the tapered part. It has 4 bearings inside, two shafts. The air motor has six floating vanes. IIRC it turns about 20,000 rpm.

Default Bending Jig

Here's another little tool I made a few years ago for bending some Aluminium bar in the vice.
    Easy enough to do normally but these bars were a set length, had a full radius on the end, and a 10mm hole that was only about 3mm inboard of the radius.
    So the jig used a moveable pin to locate the hole and was then clamped with a bar on the other side. The bars were machined up first and then bent 90 degrees at both ends.

By the time I'd done the job I'd forgotten to take pictures so I used a scrap piece to stage these shots.

Peter

A pair of "pin spanner" wrenches/drivers, one fancy, one plain, for a specialty fitting.

Another highly specialized tool, this one was designed to remove pressed-in paintball gun feed necks without damaging either the neck or the body.

The ubiquitous carriage stop; adjustable, but with no graduations.

And a kit I made to broach hex drives in my custom made banjo bolts.

The big tube is a guide that keeps everything aligned, the pin at the lower left supports the hollow bolt so it doesn't collapse, the broach itself is front-center (milled from O1 and heat-treated) and the socket and bolt are used to winch the broach back out of the hole.

It took several tries to get the broach itself just right, but this one's held up to literally hundreds of uses so far- all in 304 stainless, by the way. I had to sharpen it once.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Homemade tools:

Small hobby sized slip roll with hobby shop r/c car gears, plastic frames, aluminum rollers

4x6 bandsaw table from 1/4" plate, sized to stay bolted on permanently and still allow horiz. cuts. (.pdf plan avail if anyone needs it.)

AXA QCTP ball turner uses R-8 boring head running in plastic bushings.

Milling vise stop.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Disc sander and miter gauge

Dovetail cutter with TCMT insert

'Nuther cordless countersink/deburrer, quick twist of the wrist gets the job done.

Endmill (end only) sharpener from modified HF x/y table & cheapo 5C endmill sharpener jig.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson
    Here's one of my favourite and most accurate home conversions of a regular tool to make it more handy.

Heh,heh did anyone else notice Sir John had to create a clean spot on the bench to take this picture?

Patrick