Page 17 of 207 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Made Tools

Quote Originally Posted by camdigger
    Tinkerer

What're the states rolling on? bearings? or bearinged rollers?
    camdigger

They are an 8 wheeled skate with a swivel pad that rotate on 100 or so steel balls that can be locked out. The wheels run on 4140 3/8" cold rolled and the wheels are a solid 1018 turned true and bored for a running fit. I've moved a few lathes and mills with them. They have a real low profile under 2.5" so I do not have to jack to the rafter to use.

Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

One of teh arbors made for the Lewis mill

A punch and die set, works like Greenlee

This tool removes the pins from a Souriau 23 pin circular connector

A small threading die made when the local tool shop was out of them on Friday, and I felt like not waiting.

The skates pictured above are lots nicer looking than mine.... as are many of the tools!

Had made a copy of a Hossfeld bender. They take a fair amount of clear area to use. Too solve the problem a square hole in the driveway was made. Used section of trailer hitch receiver material and pipe welded onto that and cemented in. Too much torque on tube caused tube to twist in the ground and had to redo. Driving bunch of scrap iron at 45 degree angle in hole and allowing the new cement to tie welded on metal by the concrete. No more problem even when using 4 foot cheater bar.

Post made up that had square trailer hitch tube on both ends and benders, vise and more can be put atop post. Receiver attachments are tapped on one corner and one bolt with hand knob will tighten attachment securley.

Made adapter to fit anvil hardie hole so throatless shear can be used there and easly removed to have access to full anvil face.

Lots of great ideas and superb craftsmanship being shown. Most of my machine work involves making dies and forms for the shop tools I've built so I don't have a lot to show. I'll offer this shop-made taper attachment just to keep me in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers
    One of teh arbors made for the Lewis mill

A punch and die set, works like Greenlee

A small threading die made when the local tool shop was out of them on Friday, and I felt like not waiting.

The skates pictured above are lots nicer looking than mine.... as are many of the tools!
    Woah nice punch! I had a project for those once, but ended up just cutting big old square holes and putting a generic face plate over it after I saw they retail for $300+ Awsome job! What materials where used? Saved yourself a ton of money making those Cool how you made it two part too, so you can take it apart to get those pesky punched bits out.

Very nice threading die. How on earth you taped and reliefed the cutting edges boggles my mind!

Also seen before ...

DRO edge probe from mild steel / delrin / drill rod

Bridgeport vice stop made with dial indicator universal snug and other pieces

HSS lathe bit organizer

Harrison lathe saddle adjuster for open end and hex wrench simultaneously

Tapered end mills or a die filer.

--Doozer

Thanks every one!
    This is the most "Saved Images" I have ever stolen in one thread.
    Gary Hart what material did you use for the main frame on your Hossfeld bender?
    Is it hardened to prevent the holes from being worn?
    Chris.

Man, you guys are creative and do nice work. I'm almost ashamed to show my stuff but here goes.

These are some tools I made. The tool on the left is an adjustable scribe, the next is to hold an indicator on the quill nose, next is a handle for a deburring tool, the next two are for indicating work in a 4 jaw chuck, and everyone knows what the one at the bottom is.

Top left is a spider for the left end of the lathe spindle, top right home made bull nose, bottom is a micrometer carriage stop.

I have a box of tools I made when I worked in the Cummins fuel pump/injector rebuild room and a drawer full of tools when I worked as a line mechanic at Cummins. There's some more but this is enough for me.
    Last edited by Carld; 01-26-2010 at 11:46 PM.
    It's only ink and paper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Alton
    Thanks every one!
    Gary Hart what material did you use for the main frame on your Hossfeld bender?
    Is it hardened to prevent the holes from being worn?
    Chris.
    Chris, Used plain hot roll steel. The 4 main pivot holes wasn't sure what to do so made 4 steel bushings and hardened them. Don't recall what the steel was. Don't know but would guess just plain smooth holes with few drops of oil would last a long time, maybe a lifetime. Gary