Page 19 of 193 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Made Tools

there are some great ideas and workmanship in this thread - congrats to all

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Neill
    I think we also need to get McGyver posting his stuff in this thread too, despite some of it having been seen here before, as many of the newer members may have missed these.

Peter
    thanks Peter, here are some links, I think i need some new material

Tube bender
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=24051
    pillar tool, shop made but a Geo Thomas design
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27980
    drill grinding fixtures, pts i&ii
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=14890
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=15226
    BA & ME socket drivers
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=19987

No photos here but I think you can visualize:

Sharpen the tips on your dial caliper. Works great as a scriber, marking off from an edge. Mine is a cheap import that I've had for 20 years. I didn't realize how dependent I am on this particular caliper until I misplaced it recently.

Quote Originally Posted by bborr01
    Hi Jim,

My brother just brought his ar15 out and tried to fire some cheapass wolf ammo and the bolt wouldn't even close on them.

He later tried them on his Ruger ranch rifle and they worked ok.

They were steel cases.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Brian
    My No. 2 son, after he got out of the Marine Corps, worked for a while at a rifle range in So. Cal. Because of ammo related problems, they would not allow any customers to use Wolff centerfire steel case ammo...took too much time for the rangemasters to safely clear the problem ammo from jams.

David
    David Kaiser
    Montezuma, IA

Quote Originally Posted by steverice

Is that an FSAE car I see there... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack
    Is that an FSAE car I see there... ?
    Looks like chain adjusters on a drag bike to me.

Some tools made for metal spinning. Didn't have room to store the long handled tools so made it in two parts. Handle has # 2 Morse taper socket and draw bar and tool ends have male part of the Morse taper. I don't know how to spin metal, but I try sometimes.

I was looking back and I think this was one of my first lathe projects. it is a die for bending 3/4 square tube and it fits my HF #2 compact bender. Made from four 3/8 X 5" sheel disks. Had to make it so I could loosen the sides to release the bent tubing.
    Mel

Wanted to make a Quorn T&C grinder once. This "requires" a column with a square groove of 1 turn per inch. Thought could do it in the mill. Do have horizontal spindle built in column of my vertical mill but don't have a universal table. So if can't turn table for the helix angle so why not turn the spindle. Had this neat universal joint think made for hard to get at valves on ships or something. So adapt horizontal to cutter using the universal joint.

Then had to make an support to ram dovetail.

Set up in the mill. Had the table hooked to the dividing head for cutting the helix. Darn, wish I would of take geometery in high school. It didn't cut a square groove but more like an acme thread with tapered sides.

Philip Duclos air spindle for sharpening end mills. Learned lot of my machining building his projects. Uses 5-C collets. Made a copy of Darex's tool rest which is nice as it has built in compensation for different diameter end mills.

Another neat tool for me is a roll of shrink wrap. Air spindle is stored in warm part of shop but still needs protection from dust. Should of built storage box.
    For storing in the cold damp part of shop spray a little oil or something like that and then wrap up in the shrink wrap.